Chicken flies the coop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
laurence said:
if his story was that he didn't get the test notice as he was in Mexico and, therefore, with bad postal systems and thousands of miles away, but was in Italy - substantially closer (dunno about the post though), then it's not good. as he's meant to keep the UCI, DCU and, most importantly, his team know where he is, then he's been telling porkies. it puts the team in a bad position and jeopardises the other riders... plus if the UCI and/or DCU find out where he was, then there will be a large smelly stuff/air circulation device interface.

i'm surprises the ASO didn't arrange for an accident with a motorbike today, that would have made it a lot easier.

L

But, with all that, he was in yellow and about to hand them the TdF on a plate. They could have busked it, after all he's not turned in a positive result has he? It would have been hard for them but they could have done it. It's either to their credit for being scrupulous, or they know/suspect more than is being said.

true, chuffster... but maybe he didn't tell them, they found out via other sources... and if they found out...

there's so much scrutiny on the Tour and Rasmussen they probably thought it wasn't worth the risk.

amazed they didn't arrange for an accident.

L

monnet

Guru
So he wasn't where he said he'd be. We all know the story and it boiled down to him knowing the rules and playing to them to the letter rather than the spirit. So, technically he hasn't done anything wrong, certainly nothing that can proved.

Which leads me, like Chuffy, to suspect that Rabobank must know more. My initial theory would be that a positive/ suspect test has been given and a deal has been cut with ASO so that it might look bad but not half as bad as a repeat of the Landis affair.

Jack

monnet said:
So he wasn't where he said he'd be. We all know the story and it boiled down to him knowing the rules and playing to them to the letter rather than the spirit. So, technically he hasn't done anything wrong, certainly nothing that can proved.

Which leads me, like Chuffy, to suspect that Rabobank must know more. My initial theory would be that a positive/ suspect test has been given and a deal has been cut with ASO so that it might look bad but not half as bad as a repeat of the Landis affair.

Agreed with this basically. What an awful 24 hours for the Tour.

gbyers

He claimed an administrative error.

An administrative error does not place you in Italy when you said you were Mexico.

I don't think Robobank know more. I think they merely concluded that there was no innocent explanation for a flagrant disregard for the rules.

Reports are still saying the sacked their rider, not that they have withdrawn.

I hope they stay.

TimO

Guru
gbyers said:
...I hope they stay.
If they don't, cyclists are going to be a rare sight on the TdF. :biggrin:

How many riders are left now? By this stage a fair few have normally dropped out anyway, and plus the various teams that have now left en-masse, there can't be that many riders left.

I thought last years Tour got a bit bizarre with the number of people who pulled out before and during the tour, but this years has to take the biscuit now.

Nope, they should go.

Vino : Astana go
Moreni : Cofidis go
Rasmussen : Rabo go

If the team are involved, they should go.
If the team aren't involved, they didn't keep a tight enough control of their riders.

It's tough on the other clean riders in the team, but if they know this is what'll happen if they have a bent team-mate, they'll get them stopped.

gbyers

andy_wrx said:
Nope, they should go.

Vino : Astana go
Moreni : Cofidis go
Rasmussen : Rabo go

If the team are involved, they should go.
If the team aren't involved, they didn't keep a tight enough control of their riders.

It's tough on the other clean riders in the team, but if they know this is what'll happen if they have a bent team-mate, they'll get them stopped.

Vino - Institutional abuse
Moreni - drug taking on tour
Rasmussen - Infringements of rules before tour
Sinkewitz- abuse prior to tour

Last allowed T Mobile to stay and rasmussen's infringement was pre tour.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Can I join in to? i've got a few days off work and I am a fair audax rider. Do i have a chance?

Keith Oates

Janner
This TdF will certainly be remembered but not necassarily for all the right reasons. It will however show that anybody who breaks the rules is now not going to get away with it and the teams, in this case Rabobank, are certainly showing they want to get clean racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbyers said:
Vino - Institutional abuse
Moreni - drug taking on tour
Rasmussen - Infringements of rules before tour
Sinkewitz- abuse prior to tour

Last allowed T Mobile to stay and rasmussen's infringement was pre tour.

Sorry, forgot Sinkewitz

Astana, go; Cofidis, go; Rabo, go; T-mobile, go

Allez Agritubel !!!

Top Bottom