child seat or buggy??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shakie1973

Hi guys,

Just after a bit advice. Got my 1st decent bike a few weeks ago. Im using it to commute and generally improve my fitness (w/end rides etc) and i have to admit im enjoying it, although ive no plans to turn out in shite weather.
The wife has a bike which isnt to flash.......but she recons she will use it, to get out with me on a w/end.
Our little one is coming up 3 and i dont want him to miss out, so will i be better off with a bike seat, or a buggy.

cheers guys !

Danny

Legendary Member
Agree - go for a child seat. I had my son in one when he was under 2 years. One advantage over a trailer is you can easily communicate with them.

You do need to be a bit careful as they get older the extra weight on the back can make the bike a bit more unstable.

OP
OP
S

shakie1973

Thanks for the replys guys.
He is coming up 3 but he isnt massive for his age, will i still get plent wear out of a child seat?

cheers

PrettyboyTim

Hi Shakie,
I have CoPilot Taxi child seat, and it's good for up to 18kg. My son will be four in september and he's 16kg so good for another two kilos.

He's pretty tall for his age (109cm / 3'7") but I don't have a problem fitting him in. The only slight problem we have is that both my and him have large feet (I have size 12 (adult) and he has size 11 (child)) and my heels sometimes clip the tips of his toes. I guess. I'm guessing I'll still be using the seat past his fourth birthday.

I also have a child trailer, and it's good if you want to be able to carry a bunch of other stuff along with you as well (e.g. picnic, a little bike for him or something) although I have to say I find with the child seat I can strap his pedal-less wooden bike to the back of the childseat when he gets tired of scooting it along and carry both without too much trouble.

domtyler

Über Member
I have a Hamax Kiss, cheap and cheerful. The main problem with it is the lack of head support for when they (inevitably) fall asleep. I will soon have to upgrade mine to something a bit more comfortable now that we have established that it is going to be used an awful lot.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
domtyler said:
The main problem with it is the lack of head support for when they (inevitably) fall asleep.
What does that say about your conversation then?? :biggrin:

My eldest daughter used to love going on the back of my old bike in the seat - when she first started in there all she used to sy was "Go! Go!" at red lights... I blame the TV... :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
What does that say about your conversation then?? :biggrin:

My eldest daughter used to love going on the back of my old bike in the seat - when she first started in there all she used to sy was "Go! Go!" at red lights... I blame the TV... :smile:

I wouldn't say she has quite mastered the art of conversation yet, she only says "Oh Dear" at the moment!* :smile::biggrin:

*i.e. drop her dinner plate onto the floor - "Oh dear", scribble all over the wall - "Ooooohh Deeaar", climb up onto the table and slowly but deliberately push the very expensive glass bowl that my Dad bought us for a wedding present onto the floor and see it break in two - "Oooooooohhhhhhh Deeeeeaaaaaarrrr"!! :biggrin::angry::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ive got three kids and I hate child seats as all there wight is up hi where you dont need it, I have used a u+1 and u+2 both by pashley and burley trailers the trailers are good as you can go shoping as well and when the kid/kids get to big for it you can use it for your weekly shoping.

And cars give you lots more room with the trailers and tag a longs. Mickle I know tag a long is the trade mark for a tipe not just a generic name.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I prefer child trailers - they're far more useful, and a lot safer too.

http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/article-child-trailer-safety.htm

HelenD123

Guru
I saw someone at lunchtime with what I thought was a double buggy coming towards me. When she walked past it had the back of a bike attached! I was mightily impressed.

PrettyboyTim

domtyler said:
Why do you say they are safer? I didn't know that the child seats were particularly dangerous, I've had mine for almost a year and haven't killed my daughter yet! ;)

If the bike falls over, it's quite a distance for the little'un to fall, and could result in a side impact to the head. They will be unable to break their fall with their arms, being strapped into the bike.

In the case of an accident while the bike is moving, a child in a trailer will be safer as they are enclosed in a metal cage, as opposed to being strapped to the back of a bike in the process of colliding with something.

Having said that, the vast majority of child-seat related injuries are caused by their feet getting caught in the back wheel, hence the importance of using the foot straps.

I have a trailer and a child seat, but the child seat is considerably more convenient and hence gets more use.

Downward

Guru
Hi, Few Questions on the Child Seats :
Are the buckle Straps easy to undo - My nearly 3 year old can undo his pram straps and the Britax Car seat buckle too so this is a concern. He can't do the cheap Car seat in my car ironically enough.

Do you need to get them kitted out with helmets ?

Downward

Guru
Still not got round to getting one but I think i would have to put the normal pedals back on as don't fancy being clipped in - or alternativly may just buy a cheap mountain bike.

What age should you be getting your kids on bikes ?
We have bought our son a bike with stabilisers for his 3rd Bday although he can't pedal so may take them off and the stabilisers to scoot.

Top Bottom