Child support

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

Pay up!

I think the CSA or whatever it is called now like the parents to try and work something out between themselves. If this fails then they become involved and want to see proof of income from the absent parent and then decide how much they need to pay. Failure to make the payments results in it coming straight out your wages. The whole thing can become really messy, slow and long winded so if you can mutually agree with your (ex) partner that would be best.

bianchi1

Guru
I haven't recieved a penny for the last 5 years from my ex. We did everything properly at the devorce, she signed a consent order agreeing to pay a fair amount every week for the two children (who live with me) and I agreed to give here a cash payement for the equity in the house we had together.

A few years later and she quits work and stops the payments. A consent order is not worth the paper it is written on after 12 months. My guess is she will start work again when my children are out of full time education and she doesn't have to pay anything. In the meantime I she just has to live of the 45 thousand pounds I gave her in good faith.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know they're peanuts, chasing me for money I didn't owe. They were harassing me at work and All sorts. Took my local MP to get the tossers off my back.

Those fools make Traffic Droid look quite pleasant and diplomatic in comparison. Even ISIS are scared of them.

No one should not want to pay. They are your children and you should do the right thing for them.

Lots of people (self included) will know a little, and there's a chance that someone will know what you need to know - but I would need a question for me to say whether I know the answer!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
No one should not want to pay. They are your children and you should do the right thing for them.
I totally agree but when the csa cripple you financially leaving you unable or struggling to start your life over again it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It has been my experience that if you are working and therefore have a national insurance number you become an easy target for the parasitic csa, at the time I was earning around £200 per week, the csa deemed it right to take £87 per week off me leaving me the remainder of my earnings to "survive" on, I still had rent , food and other bills to pay, I don't say this lightly when i say i can well understand why some men took their own lives as a direct result of the crippling effect the csa had on them.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

My daughter is 20 this year. She finished her A levels 2 years ago and has been at University for about a year. I have searched the internet and the link TMN posted didnt reveal much.

My understanding is that you have to pay until the children reach the age of 16. If they then wish to carry on and do their A levels you continue to support them. But once the A levels are finished, if they decide to go to Uni instead of getting a job, you can then stop the payments.

I am just trying to get some confirmation of this.

I agree that parents should support their children. But some people can become professional students. There has to be a cut off point.

I didn't mean you particularly just people in general.

Does CSA only apply if your kids are 19 or under in full time education? As a parent though I'm sure you will be happy to still support your daughter as much as you can.

Yes, if it's a straightforward CSA case. If there's a court order or an agreement pre-dating certain changes then the situation may be different.

Top Bottom