Childhood toys...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

My mate had a Chopper that was called a Chopper Sprint. It had a thinner front wheel and racer handlebars! I used to rib him all the time about it not being a real Chopper but some monster made up of leftover bits. Whas it a genuine bike? looked crap whatever it was...

Arch

Married to Night Train

Andy

What a cracking thread!

Had Crossfire...and yes, "hurty finger" sums it up perfectly.
Had loads of Subbuteo, really loved that game...still have my World Cup edition complete with Jules Rimet Trophy (so that dates me then doesn't it!!), flood lights that lit up much of the rest of the room but little if any of the pitch! I have loads and loads of original teams, but updated many of them with Airfix paint so the strips were more accurate....spent hours doing this.
Loads and loads of Airfix models, like others, many of them gathering dust while swinging about on my bedroom ceiling.
Also, "Striker", another football game where the players heads were pressed to make them kick the ball....this was great although not as realistic as Subbuteo! One of my teams had a player with an exceptionally long neck who could kick the ball like a rocket, and another had one with a neck so short that he hardly moved the ball at all. he was in the red team while "Long Necked Larry" as he became known was in the blue team, so it was always a toss up and big hope that you won and could select the blue team.
Loads of Corgi models (many of which I still have although not in great nick) and tons of Lego which was the best. Could spend days building things with it. Still have it all and my kids have now outgrown it but refuse to allow it to be thrown out!
Could go on and on with this one...love it!!:biggrin:

Mr Phoebus

The Six Million Dollar Man, Steve Austin doll.
For some unknown reason they made his bionic eye so that everything viewed through it became smaller.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Andy said:
...and tons of Lego which was the best. Could spend days building things with it. Still have it all and my kids have now outgrown it but refuse to allow it to be thrown out!
I'll rehouse it for you - my Mum got rid of my boxes of Lego when I was at Uni and my Folks moved house... never mentioned it to me (the getting rid of the Lego, not the moving part) until years later when I asked if she still had it (and was moving into my own house).. I was gutted!!! ;)

Lego is *the* best toy. No arguments. You could build whatever you wanted to play with, and no tools were required (unlike Meccano (sp?)) - fantastic stuff. I'm just trying to see if my eldest likes it as much as I do used to
so I can get back into it too! :evil:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Lego is *the* best toy. No arguments. You could build whatever you wanted to play with, and no tools were required
I dunno about that - a chisel could come in handy! Remember how tough it was sometimes to prise apart 2 flat 6-dot pieces? My lego bricks had loads of teeth-marks on them! :evil:

ChrisKH

Guru
I used to get the usual things as a kid (Scalextric, Action Man) but to be honest I was never actively a child who liked to play with things. Used to enjoy board games a lot (Mouse Trap, Haunted House, Cluedo, etc.). My best "toys" came in my teens. They weren't really toys but gave me hours of fun:-

1. Raleigh 9 speed racing bike (naturally). (Aged 13).

2. Junior Hammer (you know the thing they throw in the Olympics) plus throwing shoes and glove. I must be the only "kid" who went to school on Xmas day to use the Hammer cage. (Aged 14). I used to get up at 5.30 am to get an hour's throwing practice in before school.

3. Stacy Peralta rocker skateboard, Gold ACS 651's, Lime Green 65mm Kryptonic wheels. (Aged 15).

Mr Pig

Arch said:
Real apparently.

Yip, that's it. He had a gold one, what a monstrosity it is eh? He thought it was great, but he was alone in that opinion.

Never had Subuteo and always wondered if it was any use. Had the Bionic Man, with the cool see-through bits in his arm. There was some sort of tube/pod thing that he went in too. Still crap next to Action Man as he was made of ridged plastic with few joints so couldn't do much.

I used to spread all my Lego all over the floor, it was the only way to find anything, and one night my dad walked over it in the dark! After much F-ing and blinding he gathered it all up and put it in the bin! All of it, and we had a lot.

For about two years I thought that was that but then one day, when I was bored, my mum said "Do you want your Lego back?" Turned out that after my dad went to bed she'd gone out and fished it all out of the bin, washed it in the bath and hid it! :0)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
For some reason I have just remembered making peg guns. Take a length of wood and hammer a nail into one end so it is proud of the wood by about 5mm. Dismantle a cloths peg (wooden ones are best). Nail one side of the peg to the other end of the wood and reassemble peg. Dismantle another peg and keep the metal spring. Take one long or two shorter elastic bands tie the spring to one end and place spring in the line grip of the secured peg. Stretch teh band so it is secured by the nail. Point, press peg and spend next 20 mins looking for projectile (Oh the fun I had!!!!)

Mr Pig

We made wooden crossbows, basically a big wooden cross with elastic and 'dolly' clothes pegs as projectiles. The trick was finding good elastic.

I spent a lot of time on mine and it was pretty good. Got boring though so I spiced it up a little by putting little nails in the ends of the pegs! Of course, half the pegs split in two when you tried to hammer the nails in so I had half mum's pegs, the bin had the other half and mum had none! ;0)

I got my little brother to hold up balloons filed with water for me to shoot with my nail-pegs, but that was too easy so I got him to move his arms up and down! Yip, shot him in the hand. Mum went to thirty-thousand feet and made me smash up my crossbow in front of her and put it in the bin :0(

My brother was an idiot, he would do anything you asked. In fact he's still an idiot...

Top Bottom