Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
And while my story above about Newark bus station in the 70s may be distasteful I'd like to be clear....
It formed a deep seated distrust, almost hatred of gay men for many years but remember as an impressionable teenager, that's likely to happen now, let alone in the 70s. But you get over that, or at least you should and rationalise it as they were predatory men, not all gay men are that way...you realise that as you get older and wiser. I certainly dont think the way I used to but it did take me a long time to 'get over it'
The same applies (or should) whatever generation you come from....70s 80s 60s whatever, it's about your personal experiences and how you deal with them, how you grow from those experiences...whatever the decade. Even us from the 70s are quite capable of it. :okay:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The only thing good about the 70s was the music from 1977 to 1979. Maybe some of the sitcoms were ok.

Some people seem to be suffering from overwork nowadays, some from unemployment.

Why don't we even it all out a bit.
Make sure all the important stuff gets done, share the work out nicely.

Then all go for a bike ride??

Strangely enough that's the vision my 70s school humanities lessons painted - computers and stuff would mean we could all work for half a week while they produced all the money.
And therein lies one of the positives for the 70s if I ever get round to banging out that bullet list.

The only thing good about the 70s was the music from 1977 to 1979. Maybe some of the sitcoms were ok.
I'd think a bit more about that.
The 70s was generally great for music, lasted 10 years strangely enough and was actually very varied.
Sitcoms? - yes uber right on folk looking for brownie points and more (not saying you) are wont to slag them all off.

I nominate Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

Fine fine writing.
Funny but with real human and social insight.
And it dared to address issues of class - poking fun at both of the lads while retaining empathy for them.
It still stands up now.

Like many 70s sitcoms it also had a film spin off - many were pretty damn dire but I would recommend the Likely Lads one - also very well written - turns up on telly now and again in odd slots.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Saturday night telly was good in the 70's. There was Dr Who, when some of the stories were still quite good. There was the Six Million Dollar Mn on the other side if Dr Who was boring, which it quite often was. There was Jim'll Fix it, which was filler for me. There were one or two other quite good programmes, and then there was The Duchess of Duke Street, which is about the only programme both myself and my mother liked.

Top Bottom