Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
If we haven't moved on too far from the OP, the 70's were shite. My gran's sideboard filled with bags of sugar because of shortages, boxes of candles in every room. A pre-fab house built in 1947 and expected to last 10 years, ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. Crouched behind the couch with my mum hiding from the Provi man, the only "holiday" being a weekend at some Church camp getting lectured on the evils of self-gratifying, Scotland 1 Peru 3. Best Christmas present ever was a Raleigh Apollo racer, second hand and badly painted white but leaving the decals showing. Probably stolen. Being backhanded by a cop at 9 years old because I switched on the siren of his panda car. Being brought up on mince n tatties (peeling the tattie's skin so thinly it was translucent or risk a smack, regular hidings from my dad with belt and fist. Aye, thank Bod we've moved on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Aye, like I was going to open it anyway :laugh:

:sad:
England teams have gone to a World Cup with unrealistic expectations, but Ally's Tarten Army were the most deluded side ever to leave these shores.

Dave7

Legendary Member
If we haven't moved on too far from the OP, the 70's were shite. My gran's sideboard filled with bags of sugar because of shortages, boxes of candles in every room. A pre-fab house built in 1947 and expected to last 10 years, ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. Crouched behind the couch with my mum hiding from the Provi man, the only "holiday" being a weekend at some Church camp getting lectured on the evils of self-gratifying, Scotland 1 Peru 3. Best Christmas present ever was a Raleigh Apollo racer, second hand and badly painted white but leaving the decals showing. Probably stolen. Being backhanded by a cop at 9 years old because I switched on the siren of his panda car. Being brought up on mince n tatties (peeling the tattie's skin so thinly it was translucent or risk a smack, regular hidings from my dad with belt and fist. Aye, thank Bod we've moved on.
Apart from the church camp my memories are similar. I remember running from a bobby when he blew his whistle......so we all stopped and walked back, cos we thought you had to. My ear hurt after the whack.
Mince and dripping butties as against tatties though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My gran's sideboard filled with bags of sugar because of shortages, boxes of candles in every room.
Truly? In the 70's? In the UK?
At the time I was living in a small Italian village, everyone had, as a matter of fact, oil or gas central heating.
There was no shortage of anything in the shops, I remember that clearly because, as my Mother took no well for a time, I was doing the food shopping.
To think that us teens all dreamed of "going to London", where progressive thinking and the cool music was to be found.
Learning to speak English (from the song translations on teen magazines lol) was what could get you a really good job in the big city.
The older generations that emigrated went to the USA, but us, we dreamed of the UK.
By the time I got here, early 80's, most flats still had just the one electric or gas fire in the living room, true, now I remember.
Not that I cared, I was out working or enjoying myself most of the time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not as a matter of course, but there were a few strikes that caused shortages (Mainly due to panic buying). I remember sugar and bread being effected, and the run on candles were due to the three day week in about '72, brought in because of power shortages during the miner's strike.

Even beer was effected at one time, with my local pubs all stocking bottled beer with strange names that had been sourced in Europe when they weren't getting deliveries.

Thank God those days have gone. For all the local shops employing local people unemployment was higher than it is now, wages were lower in real terms and a lot of the industries that we fondly remember through rose coloured specs involved back breaking work carried out in unsafe conditions. The food we got from those local shops wasn't all that either, a lot of it was kept in conditions that were less than hygienic.

It is no accident that people now live longer and enjoy good health far later in life than they used to.

No accident either that kids immune systems are under developed, and antibiotics are having to become stronger and stronger

Reactions: gbb

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
At the time I was living in a small Italian village, everyone had, as a matter of fact, oil or gas central heating.
There was no shortage of anything in the shops, I remember that clearly because, as my Mother took no well for a time, I was doing the food shopping.
To think that us teens all dreamed of "going to London", where progressive thinking and the cool music was to be found.
Learning to speak English (from the song translations on teen magazines lol) was what could get you a really good job in the big city.
The older generations that emigrated went to the USA, but us, we dreamed of the UK.
By the time I got here, early 80's, most flats still had just the one electric or gas fire in the living room, true, now I remember.
Not that I cared, I was out working or enjoying myself most of the time.

No central heating (or fitted carpets) for us. I grew up to the smell of Paraffin (Pink?)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
with my local pubs all stocking bottled beer with strange names that had been sourced in Europe when they weren't getting deliveries.
A bit like Wetherspoons - apart from the "Europe" bit.

We didn't have central heating or double glazing until about 1980, and ice on the inside of the windows was regular in the winter. The UK has come a long way, in social mores and wealth, since 1973.

Top Bottom