Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You do need to hear all sides of an argument but it appears that more and more we are living in a censored world.
Any sensible moderator cannot allow racists posts for the reason @nickyboy states below, also, I would say, for common decency.
Any view can be expressed, in a reasonable, civil manner.
A political view must not be confused with a rant imo.
The specific reason is that there is legislation preventing such things as "Inciting to Racial Hatred" and that's why organisations who espouse a racist ideology aren't given airtime

But specific to here I don't know what mods should do.
We are working on it, with the restraint that we are given by the database tools.
On this occasion, the CC Mods team asks for patience until we sort it.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yes I agree, and I generally do.

Despite exhortations from many to 'ignore the haters'
Because as you say, those ignored haters gather into groups to back up each others unpleasant dehumanising views, radicalising each other, and even plot to act on that hatred.

I will usually call it out - often a fairly thankless task, you get labelled as 'right on' or 'virtue signaller' or 'bleeding heart liberal'

You name it.

But specific to here I don't know what mods should do.

Annotate dodgy posts with "this is an example of hate speech"

Call in the cavalry to refute it?

That would be another job of work again wouldn't it.

If we can't be self policing, then I guess someone has to do it for us??
It should be more than "we" as individuals, you or I have so little power or influence as to be inconsequential, although I don't suggest that means we do nothing. There should be some mechanism in place so that when, for example, the Mail, splashes some utter garbage over it's front page they cannot either do nothing or post a retraction on page 19, they have to stick the apology on the front page. Our politicians and our media need to take far more responsibility and use the powers and authority that they have, rather than merely muttering mealy mouthed condemnations in the Commons.

Edit, reply to mudsticks above, other posts intervened.

I generally call it out as well - i see it as a civic duty - though yes it can make things uncomfortable.

Situation here way better than Italy though.

Thankfully things improving but all too common to hear terrible stuff in italy and no one bat an eyelid.

Don't even see a problem.

Mainstream politicians can say outrageous things and carry on regardless, joke it off.

No need to resign.

Which reflects on italy and italian society more than the individual jerk.

That said, not unknown (includingion here, particularly inin t recent past) forr some folks to be pilloried as racist when they are no such thing. That is a misuse of civics in the service of ego wars, does no-one any favours and also has to be resisted.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It should be more than "we" as individuals, you or I have so little power or influence as to be inconsequential, although I don't suggest that means we do nothing. There should be some mechanism in place so that when, for example, the Mail, splashes some utter garbage over it's front page they cannot either do nothing or post a retraction on page 19, they have to stick the apology on the front page. Our politicians and our media need to take far more responsibility and use the powers and authority that they have, rather than merely muttering mealy mouthed condemnations in the Commons.

I agree, the problem being the garbage press is owned and controlled by people in whose interests it is to keep spreading these half truths, innuendo, and divisive fear, and hatemongering.

These same owners are sponsors and friends and influencers of our government.

Who calls them to account??

The press watchdogs seem to have very minimal power.

Unsurprisingly.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Edit, reply to mudsticks above, other posts intervened.

I generally call it out as well - i see it as a civic duty - though yes it can make things uncomfortable.

Situation here way better than Italy though.

Thankfully things improving but all too common to hear terrible stuff in italy and no one bat an eyelid.

Don't even see a problem.

Mainstream politicians can say outrageous things and carry on regardless, joke it off.

No need to resign.

Which reflects on italy and italian society more than the individual jerk.

That said, not unknown (includingion here, particularly inin t recent past) forr some folks to be pilloried as racist when they are no such thing. That is a misuse of civics in the service of ego wars, does no-one any favours and also has to be resisted.

Yes I've hears its worse in Italy, and I'm sure it's worser still elsewhere.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard or else it's just a race to the bottom in terms of civic behaviour.

There's been 'mainstream' politicos say awful things in this country - look at Bozza for instance, then he gets to laugh it off under his artful disguise of being a hapless buffoon.

And people lap it up.

I don't know what in particular you're referring to on here vis as vis false accusations of racism, @Blue Hills but maybe there were misunderstandings of tone perhaps?? That needed clarifing?
I dunno, on that one

theclaud

Openly Marxist
There are some on here who believe that the wider group are living in the past where misogyny, racism, religious intolerance were acceptable & love to try by twisting their words to belittle them at every opportunity. Normally they keep themselves to themselves in the dark place but sometimes they come out as a group to get fresh meat.
:laugh: Not paranoid at all, then?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I agree, the problem being the garbage press is owned and controlled by people in whose interests it is to keep spreading these half truths, innuendo, and divisive fear, and hatemongering.

These same owners are sponsors and friends and influencers of our government.

Who calls them to account??

The press watchdogs seem to have very minimal power.

Unsurprisingly.
Absolutely. I have no idea what the answer is, but I do not think that ignoring it and hoping it goes away is the solution.
There has to be a balance between freedom of the press and regulation in the same way as there has to be balance given to debates. The problem seems to me that there is too often neither. I have no idea how you regulate the internet, or if it's even possible or acceptable to do so (although there is some level of control of course) but I'm quite sure that there are people far cleverer and more qualified than me that could answer that question.
It seems to me, although I am quite happy for someone to show me I'm wrong, that too frequently there is a failure to challenge and educate when the opportunity is presented. In the case of things like watch lists, do we merely watch, or do we engage?

I was a 60’s child and a 70’s late teens.
What a great place England was then, not like now.
This country has become an armpit of a dog hole, for all and sundry.
This country actually makes me physically sick these days.
Emigrate?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Absolutely. I have no idea what the answer is, but I do not think that ignoring it and hoping it goes away is the solution.
There has to be a balance between freedom of the press and regulation in the same way as there has to be balance given to debates. The problem seems to me that there is too often neither. I have no idea how you regulate the internet, or if it's even possible or acceptable to do so (although there is some level of control of course) but I'm quite sure that there are people far cleverer and more qualified than me that could answer that question.
It seems to me, although I am quite happy for someone to show me I'm wrong, that too frequently there is a failure to challenge and educate when the opportunity is presented. In the case of things like watch lists, do we merely watch, or do we engage?

I have no clear idea either, of how or if this should be done either.

But I am by nature an engager, if I hear something that sounds off, or ignorant, or misguided then I will try to make sense of it, and put the other side too.

But you're right we can't do all this merely as individuals.

Just like we can't tackle stuff like climate change merely as individuals.

There has to be more of a collective will to do better, be better, step up to our collective responsibility.

And vote for governments that will see it done too.

Education, knowledge, understanding, a willingness to listen. and see things from other people's points of view.

Its hard work trying to be a half decent human being, just got to accept it isn't easy, and do our available best, I spose. .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Are there any distinguishing marks??

aec61c11-5063-49ad-b100-47a8da.jpg

socks-and-sandals.jpg

7149zri5pol.jpg

triggered-2.png

HTH :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Top Bottom