Children of the 70s

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Chris S, 12 Mar 2019.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

And so it should. You must be ancient. In fact it's amazing you're still with us. Well done gramps.

pjd57 likes this.
  2. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

Exactly. well said pale rider.
    May return later with some 70s (for we seem to be talking about the decade) rather than "born in") bullet points for and against.

I also remember a phrase from my northern childhood "nowt so queer as folk" which struck me as essentially tolerant.

If the phrase hadn't years later been re-used for a drama set in Manchester's gay village (I believe - never saw it) using a somewhat different use of the word the social media twitterati would probably be burning at the online stake anyone who used it.

I won't treat folk to a certain other kinda related northern phrase.

classic33 likes this.
  3. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Like, That's as funny as copulation ?

4. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

?

5. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Around here there is a Northern expression with is a 4 letter word for copulation which I'm pretty sure I can't type here, well I know I can type it, but it would not be acceptable.

6. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Funny as work?

meta lon and Dirk like this.
  7. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

For me, born in 1960s but with a 70s childhood, it was a time of modernisation, progress, upward mobility, blurring of class divides, cub scouts, white dog poo, Blue Peter rather than Magpie, Tomorrow's World, package holidays, avacado, shrimp salad, black forest gateaux. Flamboyant clothing and a Gary Glitter who to me seemed somehow creepy. Britain looked up, out and forward and occasionally behind.

Bromptonaut, meta lon, lane and 2 others like this.
  8. captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701 Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Well, the 80's were a bit crap with all that unemployment and an intransigent uncaring Tory Govt....bit like now?.

gbb likes this.
  9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

79 for me. :becool:, I was going more for the Rocker/Ted style to be honest but there were Joey and the Boys dressed pretty much the same, mind you most of the lads who were 'Punks' looked like Rik :rofl:

classic33 and MontyVeda like this.
  10. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

We were never called latch key kids as nobody locked their doors

classic33 and raleighnut like this.
  11. You were lucky, we didn't even have a door. We lived in a hole in the ground.

12. meta lon

meta lon Guru

:laugh:

You were lucky
    Our hole was a pond

Surly Bruce likes this.
  13. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

We couldn't afford to dig a hole.......

raleighnut, Surly Bruce and meta lon like this.
  14. GM

GM Legendary Member

When I was about 10, the Teddy Boy era was just fading out, and I really wished I could grow a pair of those big bushy sideburns.

Surly Bruce likes this.
  15. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

I totally agree; the xenophobia and racism I encounter on a daily basis make me sick too!
    So glad we agree on this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice