Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes I was a child of the revolution, just not sure what the revolution was...

Had its pros and cons as each generation does

I preferred this one..though it was a lot later.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=721JQZw6Spg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No one's mentioned Punk Rock yet. I loved some of the music, but it wasn't my parents cup of tea.:laugh:

Do we have any ex' punks on here who'd like to share a story? Is anyone still dressing as a punk?

I trended more towards the Mod side of things, although I never had a scooter, or a parka, so that probably doesn't make me a Mod at all :sad:
Nah after being a 70s fashion victim I went more for the 'Ramones' look, tight jeans a leather bike jacket and T shirt with baseball boots. :becool:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
No one's mentioned Punk Rock yet. I loved some of the music, but it wasn't my parents cup of tea.:laugh:

Do we have any ex' punks on here who'd like to share a story? Is anyone still dressing as a punk?

I trended more towards the Mod side of things, although I never had a scooter, or a parka, so that probably doesn't make me a Mod at all :sad:
Within the space of about 5 years (which seemed to last forever) I was a punk, a mod, a suedehead, and a rockabilly (forget the exact order to be honest) :smile:
Now I just wish I had hair enough to have anything but a very short crop.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Nope child of the 60s here I was a youff in the 70s
Me too. Loved the 70's as I grew up, Pink Floyd released DSOTM, Tom Baker was the Doctor, Morecambe & Wise taking the mickey out of Andre Previn, Star Wars, the summer of '76......aaah, great days eh?.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Whatever era you were a child or teenager in was great in hindsight. No responsibilities

But if you were an adult in the 70s it was, compared to today, pretty crap. People were poorer, less healthy, less socially mobile, less tolerant

70s or 60s or whatever weren't great, they were crap compared to now. It was your childhood that was great

And not everyones childhood was unalloyed bliss either.

Unless you were one of the lucky ones.

Personally I prefer my version of being a 'grown up'

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
less tolerant

In some ways but not in others.

When I was growing up, I recall hearing the phrase from older people 'live and let live'.

Not a phrase I hear now.

Hardly a scientific analysis, but it seems to me these days rather than 'live and let live', the more common reaction is to get stuck in on social media.

There is a great deal of intolerance on this site, often dressed up as 'noble cause', but it's still intolerance.

In some ways but not in others.

When I was growing up, I recall hearing the phrase from older people 'live and let live'.

Not a phrase I hear now.

Hardly a scientific analysis, but it seems to me these days rather than 'live and let live', the more common reaction is to get stuck in on social media.

There is a great deal of intolerance on this site, often dressed up as 'noble cause', but it's still intolerance.
Exactly. well said pale rider.
May return later with some 70s (for we seem to be talking about the decade) rather than "born in") bullet points for and against.

I also remember a phrase from my northern childhood "nowt so queer as folk" which struck me as essentially tolerant.

If the phrase hadn't years later been re-used for a drama set in Manchester's gay village (I believe - never saw it) using a somewhat different use of the word the social media twitterati would probably be burning at the online stake anyone who used it.

I won't treat folk to a certain other kinda related northern phrase.

Top Bottom