Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Born in the fifties i have no complaints, life is still good. bloody beer is expensive now though.

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5564654, member: 9609"]you would struggled to get any work at all in the late 70's, absolute zilch when I got kicked out of school - used to barrow sea coal off the beach and sell it round the doors.
It was still a brilliant time though - you can plonk me back there aged 16 any time you choose.[/QUOTE]
I suspect that depended on where you lived.
I left school in Notts in 75 (i think) and had so many jobs in the first couple years, if you didn't like it (or the way someone treated you) you just jacked in...and inevitably got a job the next day (or so it seemed, but it didn't take long)

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like @pawl and a few others I was born in the 40s (Feb 1947, coldest winter on record I believe).
1. Schools never seemed to close. I recall aged approx 10 wading through 2 feet of snow to get to school.
2. Aged 14 being caned so hard my hands bled......jail sentence now??
3. Family was poor. 2 up 2 down. No bathroom. Bog down the yard with the Liverpool echo for bog paper.
4. Left school aged 15 but NEVER out of work apart from a short spell in the 80s. Didnt like a job, you walked out and straight into another one.
5 worked in Liverpool 1962-65. Some good times. Cavern lunch times etc.
6. Pint of bitter 1/9d.
7. Married 1968. Still married to that same good/long suffering woman.
Part of a fortunate generation IMO.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thank God those days have gone. For all the local shops employing local people unemployment was higher than it is now, wages were lower in real terms and a lot of the industries that we fondly remember through rose coloured specs involved back breaking work carried out in unsafe conditions. The food we got from those local shops wasn't all that either, a lot of it was kept in conditions that were less than hygienic.
I can remember queuing round the walls at Sainsbury's with my mum for the assistant to slice you a pound of butter from a huge chunk on a stand in the middle of the shop and shape it with wooden paddles, then wrap it.
Rest of stuff came from the 'Home & Colonial Stores' which was tinned or dried. MacFisheries for fish.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So it seems some children of the 70s are stuck there with their rosy coloured spectacles...but i suspect the same applied to children of the 60s, 70s, 80s....and so on. We all (hopefully) fondly remember our childhood and teens and that's the way it should be, whatever decade it was.

Some of it was great, some of it OK, some of it was a bit rubbish.

It depended on who you were.

I reckon nowadays where stuff - even difficult stuff - gets talked about - rather than brushed under the carpet is better.

Childhood doesn't have a rosy glow for everyone - in any era.

'The youth of today' face challenges that we never dreamt of - but at least they can talk about those issues - they aren't just told to put up, and shut up.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's lots of things I thought and did some years ago that are no longer seen as acceptable. Not being in a minority that suffers from inequality I was either oblivious to the problems or dismissive of the harm that it can cause.

As I grew up, met more people, saw for myself and had explained to me the issues, I can now see that there was/is massive problems with things that many turned a blind eye too. I learnt and no longer do it.

Harking back to the good old days and viewing it through rose tinted glasses either means you haven't met anyone who has managed to explain the harm some of the things we did/say were harmful or don;t accept the validity of harm it causes.

In summary, many did/say bad things. Some of us are capable of learning the error after seeing the harm it does, some of us don't.
Bang on.

Homosexual acts between consenting males were decriminalised in 1967, but anyone who worked in a factory or building site and came out or was outed for at least two decades after that would have a life of misery, with a very real risk of physical assault being a constant threat. Young girls who worked in a mainly male environments had to suffer a regular gauntlet of groped breasts, hands up skirts and exposed genitals, mainly from men who were middle aged and upwards - often men who had teenage daughters themselves.

Non whites were routinely and openly abused, particularly those of Indian and Pakistani origin. Like I said, I had a great time in the seventies but I was white, hetro and fitted the stereotype of what a bloke should be. But I am under no illusions that it was an era we are better off well out of.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
People forget that 'elf & Safety just didn't exist back then as @Smokin Joe said and employers took advantage.
I remember working in a laundry in the late sixties and one guy fell in a vat of boiling soda getting terribly burned. The management offered him some ridiculous low compensation and because he didn't have legal advice and had learning difficulties he took it. Absolutely criminal.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
IMG-2472.JPG

I remember my late Grandad used to smoke 60 a day Regal, and often got things with the coupons in the packets. He lived until his late 80's, worked shifts down the pit all his life, he was also slightly over-weight. I'm a 70's child, but I never started smoking until the 80's. I used to buy 10 Regal for 55p with my dinner money. So they must've went up a bit, I'm guessing this advert is in the 70's. Can't believe the price of them now, pleased I jacked in..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So it seems some children of the 70s are stuck there with their rosy coloured spectacles...but i suspect the same applied to children of the 60s, 70s, 80s....and so on. We all (hopefully) fondly remember our childhood and teens and that's the way it should be, whatever decade it was.
bang on.

I was born in the 60s. i'm a child of the 70s and my formative years were in the 80s. The 70s was the best decade; endless summers, climbing trees, star wars, grease, pipkins, john noakes, the music*, the jubilee street party, dreaming of growing up to be a stuntman just like Jan Michael Vincent in Hooper(RIP). But it was only 'the best decade' because i was a kid and my only worry was getting told off for getting muddy.

*although i didn't really pay much attention to 70s music until the 90s

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Like @pawl and a few others I was born in the 40s (Feb 1947, coldest winter on record I believe).
1. Schools never seemed to close. I recall aged approx 10 wading through 2 feet of snow to get to school.
2. Aged 14 being caned so hard my hands bled......jail sentence now??
3. Family was poor. 2 up 2 down. No bathroom. Bog down the yard with the Liverpool echo for bog paper.
4. Left school aged 15 but NEVER out of work apart from a short spell in the 80s. Didnt like a job, you walked out and straight into another one.
5 worked in Liverpool 1962-65. Some good times. Cavern lunch times etc.
6. Pint of bitter 1/9d.
7. Married 1968. Still married to that same good/long suffering woman.
Part of a fortunate generation IMO.

Mirror image of my life.

Top Bottom