Children of the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think a lot of the "ice on the windows" came from poorly insulated and ventilated homes. A lot of councils bricked up the fireplaces in houses when natural gas fires became common, but they didn't heat the adjoining rooms around the chimney breast so people used calor or paraffin heaters which caused condensation.

Just remembered, we didn't have a fridge so my mum used to put the jelly in the coldest room overnight to set - on top of the toilet cistern!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We didn't have central heating or double glazing until about 1980, and ice on the inside of the windows was regular in the winter. The UK has come a long way, in social mores and wealth, since 1973.
............but are we any happier and more content with life as a nation? Certainly doesn’t feel like it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
A bit like Wetherspoons - apart from the "Europe" bit.

We didn't have central heating or double glazing until about 1980, and ice on the inside of the windows was regular in the winter. The UK has come a long way, in social mores and wealth, since 1973.

Dad used to fit thick gague polythene to the inside of the windows, we had snow most years back in the seventies.
We had a coal fired beaston that was the heating, electric fire.. Lots of bedding.
We are all bloody softies now, my new boiler is just amazing :smile:

What is the point of this fecking thread! It implies some kind of excusiasim. We are not pre determined by some kind of framing. Move fekkin on or be irrelevant like two thirds of cc.

............but are we any happier and more content with life as a nation? Certainly doesn’t feel like it.
Not in my view.
Some folk are confusing gdp with the wealth of the population as a whole.
Had to smile at pat"s vision of brits using candles for lighting houses for twas of course the miners' strike power cuts.
At risk of thread divert i doubt central heating in italy was as widespread as you think pat. Have never been so cold as in a winter southern italian house. And even now a lot of places have no mains gas - gas cookers powered by camping gas bottles.
Will try to return to core 70s thing when on a proper keyboard

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well, if you want to go back to the three day week and power cuts, a car industry that was a laughing stock because of low quality vehicles that fell to bits, the winter of discontent, rampant racism, a bent police force and a government having to go cap in hand to the IMF to avoid bankruptcy, going on a long waiting list to get a basic phone installed you're welcome, I wouldn't.

The only thing we had going for us then was our youth, and there's nothing like them to make us don the rose tinted specs when we look back.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Truly? In the 70's? In the UK?

The 70's were the best decade, but only because i was a kid. Power cuts were exciting because candles look better the bulbs... I couldn't understand why my folks got so stressed in those days. Fuel shortages and a lack of bread on the shelves didn't affect me (I preferred broken biscuits). I expect if I was a grown up with kids back then, the 70s would have been sh!te.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well, if you want to go back to the three day week and power cuts, a car industry that was a laughing stock because of low quality vehicles that fell to bits, the winter of discontent, rampant racism, a bent police force and a government having to go cap in hand to the IMF to avoid bankruptcy, going on a long waiting list to get a basic phone installed you're welcome, I wouldn't.

The only thing we had going for us then was our youth, and there's nothing like them to make us don the rose tinted specs when we look back.

The three day week bit sounds alright though..
Four days for cycling and other worthwhile stuff like gardening, and making things.

Some people seem to be suffering from overwork nowadays, some from unemployment.

Why don't we even it all out a bit.
Make sure all the important stuff gets done, share the work out nicely.

Then all go for a bike ride??

Only wood fired heating here, gas bottle for cooking, and an outside loo..

No complaints about that though :blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
Ice on the inside of windows in winter...
Occasional shortages of candles during strikes, that'd happen now in the blink of an eye if the same industrial unrest occured.
Occasional belting from dad if you transgressed.
Hand me down clothes.
Fighting off the unwanted attention of homosexuals in Newark bus station as a 14 year old was no fun either if you were desperate for a pee. Nowadays youd get a jail term for that and be on the sex offenders register.

But childhood is what you make it and I thoroughly enjoyed mine. There was so much good stuff we did with freedom kids just don't know anymore. It's no good comparing it with today, they were different times with different values. Thank God most of the bad stuff has gone.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Ice on the inside of windows in winter...
Occasional shortages of candles during strikes, that'd happen now in the blink of an eye if the same industrial unrest occured.
Occasional belting from dad if you transgressed.
Hand me down clothes.
Fighting off the unwanted attention of homosexuals in Newark bus station as a 14 year old was no fun either if you were desperate for a pee. Nowadays youd get a jail term for that and be on the sex offenders register.

But childhood is what you make it and I thoroughly enjoyed mine. There was so much good stuff we did with freedom kids just don't know anymore. It's no good comparing it with today, they were different times with different values. Thank God most of the bad stuff has gone.

Just to be clear, would the jail term be for fighting them off? :smile:

Top Bottom