Children's names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was watching that obsessive compulsive cleaning show last night (in the vain hope it would inspire me to do more cleaning- it didn't) and was truly astounded.

Not by the absolutely filthy disgusting state of the mans stately home, the bird crap all over his furniture or the brown oozy liquid coming out his fridge.

No. I was astounded at the names of his two small children- or rather his daughter. The boy was called something like Raul but the little girl was called Beetroot. I kid you not. Beetroot. I mean, seriously?

I've heard some other weird names in my job: Atlanta, Willow and Nation. Nation, fgs. I thought that was the worst name I'd ever heard until last night.

Anyone beat Beetroot?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have come across various but I remember "Red", I thought she was telling me the colour of her T-shirt so asked her name again:blush:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Probably just a nickname.
Our boy is nicknamed Peanut and everyone calls him that. We ge some strange looks when we call to him in the playground or park.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There was a woman in Huddersfield who was in the paper a year or so ago over some story to do with her daughter. The paper named the daughter as Daisy-Boo Faith Cotton-Cowie.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Lexie Lou i hear a woman call her child as she walks past our house. What a stupid fecking name that is!!:headshake:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Criticising name choices can be a minefield, as you never know who might be reading and what they may have named their kids. In my current circumstances I'm reading a lot of baby names and there are some shockers. Boys seem to be getting off lightly compared to girls. Best advice I've heard is don't tell anyone before the baby's born - you might not get the reaction you'd hoped for. People will be more guarded with their opinions once the child has actually been named.

My personal dislike is Neveah. It's "Heaven" backwards. Get it? Get it? Get it?

There seems to be an obsession with choosing unique and strange names. In twenty years time there will be a whole cohort of receptionists constantly saying "could you spell that please?"

U

User33236

A number of years ago I worked in and around a delivery suite quite a lot. The midwives used to run a sweep where they would predict babies being given particularly unusual names. The names were usually chosen from what had been newsworthy in the past year or so.

I recall one midwife exiting a delivery room asking 'Who picked Pocahontas?'!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
We know somebody whose three daughters are named:

Carmell-Lexie
Madison-Bailey
Lee-Adriana

(I've reversed these just in case of a web search but... you get the idea!)

Top Bottom