Children's names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Or to put this another way, your wife adopts an expectation of underachievement and, unsurprisingly, it pans out so?

Quite possibly - but just perhaps my 'Outstanding' rated teacher wife is not supported by some parents (if the kids have parents) who as well as conforming to stereotypes regarding naming also do nothing to support their children through the most important years of their lives. I can also tell you that the greatest pleasure my wife gets is from helping a pupil succeed despite their upbringing and parenting. Unfortunately this is not the norm, some kids can make it, but unfortunately most don't. Stereotypes exist for a reason - no matter how fair it is.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You are Katie Hopkins, and I despise you.

To be fair to Katie Hopkins, who would never be on my Christmas card list, she occasionally gets it right, she just does not have a very nice way of putting it.

OP
OP
awomaninsane

awomaninsane

You could also look at it as; experienced, highly rated teacher correctly predicts children's capabilities.

What do you think your wife would think of the name Britney Pigg? High or low achiever? I always felt sorry for this girl when I collected mine from school, always looked a bit grubby with rats tails hair. Her sister is called Bronte, her brother Marvin and baby sister Lea Star. Nice.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Oh dear - you clearly haven't read the articles you've linked to....

How so? Some of the articles explains that although our name reflects how we can be treated by others it is mainly effected by the parents who would choose such a name. A Tarquin is more likely to be raised by an educated/wealthy set of parents, compared to a Candice or a Jade. Again studies (and you can go and look for yourself for these) show that having wealthy educated parents means you are more likely to achieve high grades and move onto higher education, which again is proven to lead to higher achievement. Is this right and fair? No, but it is reality.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What do you think your wife would think of the name Britney Pigg? High or low achiever? I always felt sorry for this girl when I collected mine from school, always looked a bit grubby with rats tails hair. Her sister is called Bronte, her brother Marvin and baby sister Lea Star. Nice.

I suspect she would like 'Bronte'. I will have to ask her.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
How so? Each article explains that although our name reflects how we can be treated by others it is mainly effected by the parents who would choose such a name. A Tarquin is more likely to be raised by an educated/wealthy set of parents, compared to a Candice or a Jade. Again studies (and you can go and look for yourself for these) show that having wealthy educated parents means you are more likely to achieve high grades and move onto higher education, which again is proven to lead to higher achievement. Is this right and fair? No, but it is reality.

so in a nutshell... the name's got bugger all to do with it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Perhaps you should ask your wife to give you some help to develop your communication skills, like she does with her pupils?

So here is what i wrote in my first post " In her opinion you can tell a lot about a person from their name, whether or not the parents choice of name reflects their parenting skill or the kid just lives up to their name I will leave you to decide."

Seems to be pretty consistent with what i wrote above.

However, perhaps I should ask for some lessons - after all we all judge achievement on ability to spar with keyboard warriors. (Not aimed at you User (this time ^_^)).

Top Bottom