Children's names?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Why are you still up?

Mr Pig

Well I'm still up because I have the cold so slept when we got home this afternoon and went to bed early. Result? Two in the morning and idiot pig is wide awake!

Naming kids is tricky. Father-in-law desperately wanted one of the boys named after him. Never going to happen. I want the kids to choose their own identity, not be the shadow of someone else.

And you don't want a very common name. Contributes nothing, might as well give them a number! But you don't want something so outlandish it'll be joke they'll hate later.

One mistake people often seem to make is picking a name they think is unusual only to find that lots of other people figured the same thing at the same time!

You also don't want a name that will be shortened or twisted into something naff or horrid, like smelly Nelly.

So our eldest son is Tristan. Not very common but not unpleasant sounding or outlandish. Also lends itself to the nickname Tintin, which is what most of his friends call him and is, again, a fairly pleasant nickname.

Middle kid is Calvin. Cool because you can tell people he was named after the reformer, when in fact he's named after a cartoon character! ;0) A simple name, rolls of the tongue and is different without being daft.

Daughter is Hope. Not much one has to say about that as just about everyone who hears it for the first time remarks on how lovely a name it is. She's extremely proud of her name and I'm sure it has contributed to her character. Hope also got an interesting middle name, Tabatha. A biblical name but I just loved the sound of it.

Keith Oates

Janner
When my wife was pregnant with the first one the doctor took a scan and pronounced it would be a girl. We spent many hours discussing and thinking of girls names and also bought many pink clothes etc. The birth didn't go too well and in the end a C section was needed and I was in the operating theatre to see the action. When the baby came out it was a boy. I then went with the nurse and the baby boy while they cleaned him up etc. and finally got word that my wife was now back in the ward and I could take the baby to her. When I got there I showed her the baby and said it was a boy and she immediately said the names without even puasing for thought. I said OK and the names were recorded and after a few months the Christening was carried out. We have not regretted choosing them and it just shows to me that sometimes on the spot action is better than long and drawn out discussions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Pig said:
And you don't want a very common name. Contributes nothing, might as well give them a number! But you don't want something so outlandish it'll be joke they'll hate later.

One mistake people often seem to make is picking a name they think is unusual only to find that lots of other people figured the same thing at the same time!

Yes - my kids have been at school with the 3 James or Sam's in a class, and they end up having to be called Jamie/Jim or James B to identify themselves.

I went for names that I liked that weren't in the top 50 names but that weren't unheard of either. So there are usually only a couple of them in their school - should theoretically make it easier to return lost property but it doesn't!! Unfortunately for the 3rd child I managed to pick a name that wasn't common or so I thought that has steadily crept up the name list and made the top 50 now :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Before anyone says it, Pocohontas McGinty is an urban legend. Everyone "knows someone" who named their kid that, but they don't, and the parents didn't.

My wife knows some cracking names of kids in her care though, the funniest being twins called, and I shiteth theee not, Red and Blue.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's the unknown that's worried. I've ALWAYS wanted to call my daughter (who as yet hasn't materialised) Evangeline Rose, which would shorten to Evie Rose. However Eva/Evie/Ava is now one of the most popular names around and two of my friends have called their daughters Evie Rose. Should have got cracking years ago.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You mockin' me??

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Some names are really common and appear in phases.

I teach a class with four Daniels in it and as luck will have it listing them by alphabetical order by surname groups them together so the register goes like this:
......., Samantha, Sarah, Tom, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, ........

It's interesting seeing how some parents screw up the spelling of the names:

Denial, Danial have been on my register

Juan - pronounced Jewan

Then there's the unusual:

• Ocean Storm
  • Tempest
  • Sky
  • Charity
  • Doremi as in Doh Ray Mee
My second son had a close escape - I wanted to call him Mordecai but has to live with the unintended consequences of more innocuous names - Matthew Robert and now gets mail addressed to

Mr MR Levy

Beware of unintended consequences....

Mr Pig

summerdays said:
my kids have been at school with the 3 James or Sam's in a class

At primary school there was a time when there were four of us in the one class with the same name! Also, my mother has often recounted how I was very nearly called Alan and again, I grew up with loads of Alans. In my teens I had four close friends called Alan.

I think Eva popped into the public consciousness a few years ago largely thanks to the popularity of singer Eva Cassidy. My brother-in-law called his first child Eva.

Funny how some names never make a comeback, like Judas or Adolph. Both common names in their day.

Having no kids I havn't had to make that choice but my parents called me Ian because with a surname as long as Edinborough it was the shortest name they could think of that they thought wouldn't get shortened (although for as long as I can remember I have been known as E within the family:smile:) any further.

Top Bottom