Child's Party - No show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are 2 "Party" shops within half a mile of my house, it's sad, my daughter loved making streamers and stuff for her parties, kids loved coming round (for her brother's parties too), we always let them go wild, throw food, dance, slide down the bannister and they always had a whale of a time. ^_^ Ski party? How embarrassing.

I shudder to think what next.

That said I wouldn't be asking for the money off the parents, nor would I have gone public about it!! I would have just grumbled with a good friend (not on Facebook) or hubby being very careful not to say anything in front of the children who could repeat it!

I suspect there is history with this 2 families.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
@User10119 - agreed, our kids are similar.

On another note, we've got our eldest (nearly 15) going through an Asperger's diagnosis. Any suggestions on what works/doesn't gratefully received.

There's no 'recipe' for dealing with Aspergers children. The spectrum of their abilities varies from attending Durham University to do a mathematics degree to being unable to lead an unsupervised and independent life.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
:laugh:

There's no 'recipe' for dealing with Aspergers children. The spectrum of their abilities varies from attending Durham University to do a mathematics degree to being unable to lead an unsupervised and independent life.

Indeed - although one of the things that I found both helpful and interesting was the chance to take part in the 'Ascend' programme, run by the local CAMHs, for parents of children with ASC. There were some experiences that were common to most of us, and the chance to share strategies was a great benefit to many. Of course large amounts of the strategies that tend to work well with aspie kids, like clear unambiguous communication and firm but fair boundaries, also work well with basically all kids!

My top tip? Your kid is your kid. Diagnosis doesn't change them or how much you love 'em, although it make well change the way that they (and you) deal with their ASC.

My boy was finally assessed and diagnosed in Y6 - his autism presents in a way that means he isn't violent or oppositional, so it didn't have a significant impact on other children's learning in school, and he's a pretty clever wee sod so until the Y5 writing SAT he'd never not made the age-related expectation in a school test and wasn't obviously underachieving although the reality was that he underachieved for him and struggled enormously with social stuff and anxiety.

Diagnosis has been really helpful to him because it has started to make sense of why a lot of the world doesn't make sense to him. He chooses to view Aspergers as "differently abling" not disabling - it probably helped that he knows and greatly admires a number of adults who are and acknowledge that they are on the spectrum. Good role models help. He has access to light touch but important support at secondary school because he is now on their special needs register. The SENco there is great, and we've managed to get a really good working relationship and effective lines of communication, mostly via email. with her which has helped to nip some potential problems in the bud. Secondary school hasn't been entirely problem-free, but that's probably true for almost all kids regardless of any aditional needs they may have.

He's also, it turns out, done some reading around the condition himself. Knowledge is power. Quite a lot of the Fridays have met him btw - when he stoked the tandem to Hull on last year's FNRttC!

(Off topic for the original thread, but...)

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@User10119 - thanks. For all of us it's been a relief from the ed psch diagnosis. We're now onto CAMHS in Kirklees and are just in their 'system', which means an 18-month wait.

He's in Y10 in a selective grammar but now the SENco's being active following the diagnosis. At first they weren't sure but once they'd checked with teachers across all subjects they became involved and it's certainly helping in the school.

However, it's been good for him to think "I'm not strange, I'm just different" - he'd labelled himself, not us. My eldest has also done a lot of reading around it; he understands now why he thinks the way he does and he/we are learning how to help that interaction. He is very quiet and won't actively engange with things but wants to; so as a Christmas present we've given him a pack of home-made vouchers - one different activity to try each month that he can extend as he wishes. This month he's doing archery (we've also got orienteering, chess, octopush, rowing, choral singing [he's a bass and can sing], dancing, photography and a few others).

We're learning and it's been an interesting journey over the past 15 months. I'd absolutely agree it doesn't change how we view him, just helps.

Top Bottom