Chilli Burgers and a pointless argument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do have fits of intemperate rage, true. But not about food, and not in restaurants.

My father, it could be said, softened his temperament just a little, before he died.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Re: chilli burgers - I'd have said it was whatever the chef said it is. I tend to avoid anything 'chilli' when I'm out, due to the macho tendency to make it very hot - at least with curry, you can opt for a milder version and know what to expect.

Greedo said:
Having lunch with a mate who I like to wind up and takes the bait very easily.

He orders a chilli burger. Sitting having a beer waiting and then the waitress brings our food.

He has a normal burger in a bun with a spoonful of chilli poured over it.

I say to him. That's not a chilli burger, she's given you the wrong thing.

He says no I've had it in here before and it was the same thing.

I say. No that's a burger with chilli poured over it. A chilli burger is made from chilli con carne made into a burger shape. The menu said chilli burger and they've just given you a normal burger with chilli poured over it. That's shocking!

He thinks about it and after a min he says you're right and calls the waitress over.

Q 5 mins of discussion between him, the waitress and the manager about what and what is not a chilli burger. In the meantime I'm sitting eating my lunch unable to look at any of them for laughing and tears streaming down my face. When they walk away my mate see's my face and just say's "you pr*ck"

;):laugh::ohmy::laugh:

I am right though. A burger with chilli poured over is not a chilli burger

Discuss!!!

Sorry you're wrong, like way off. A chili burger is a good ol' meat burger with chili over the top, not a burger made from burger shaped chili. Think chili dog. Don't mess with the burger. Now a sloppy joe, would be close to a burger made form chili.

Arch said:
Re: chilli burgers - I'd have said it was whatever the chef said it is. I tend to avoid anything 'chilli' when I'm out, due to the macho tendency to make it very hot - at least with curry, you can opt for a milder version and know what to expect.
(*resists temptation to post the hoary old story about Frank the stand-in chilli-taster*)
Actually, it's [post=1009734]here[/post] already ;).

Debian

marzjennings said:
Sorry you're wrong, like way off. A chili burger is a good ol' meat burger with chili over the top, not a burger made from burger shaped chili. Think chili dog. Don't mess with the burger. Now a sloppy joe, would be close to a burger made form chili.

You're confusing chilli with chilli con carne. A chilli is a fruiting body, chilli con carne is the meat + red kidney beans dish.

A chilli burger would not be a burger shaped offering of chilli con carne but a [beef]burger flavoured with chilli.

Debian

Arch said:

Why is it a "macho" tendency? Chillis are hot things and the expectation would be that anything made with chillis as an ingredient would be hot to a greater or lesser extent. That doesn't make it "macho" in the derogatory sense that you refer to it by.

Debian said:
You're confusing chilli with chilli con carne. A chilli is a fruiting body, chilli con carne is the meat + red kidney beans dish.

A chilli burger would not be a burger shaped offering of chilli con carne but a [beef]burger flavoured with chilli.

There's no beans in chili or chili con carne. That would be chili and beans, a whole different dish. Adding red kidney beans to chili is fighting talk here in Texas, ;).

Now a burger flavoured with chili's could be a jalapeno or habanero burger, but still not a chili burger.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Debian said:
Why is it a "macho" tendency? Chillis are hot things and the expectation would be that anything made with chillis as an ingredient would be hot to a greater or lesser extent. That doesn't make it "macho" in the derogatory sense that you refer to it by.
No, no, what Arch was referrring to is the piss-head tendency to think that their mates will be impressed if they eat something so spicy that their ears will ring, ring will sting etc etc etc etc. Witness for example the so called Phaal and Tindaloo curries. Yes chillis are hot, but they also impart a wonderful flavour if used in the right amounts. Having it so hot it sets fire to your rectum on the way out IS macho bullshit.

Debian

Cubist said:
No, no, what Arch was referrring to is the piss-head tendency to think that their mates will be impressed if they eat something so spicy that their ears will ring, ring will sting etc etc etc etc. Witness for example the so called Phaal and Tindaloo curries. Yes chillis are hot, but they also impart a wonderful flavour if used in the right amounts. Having it so hot it sets fire to your rectum on the way out IS macho bullshit.

Ah, right, I understand now, sorry Arch.

Yes I agree, I love the flavour of chillis but hate it if all I can taste is "heat". I prefer my food to have flavour.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cubist said:

Thank you, that's pretty much what I meant. It means that some places - some pubs for example - don't bother with subtlety and just go for as much heat as they can. The Maltings, down the road from me, does great cheesy chips, and lasagne and stuff, but their chilli is, to me, inedibly hot. They do warn you on the menu, at least, but it means I can't ever order it. And it makes me wary of their curry too.

Having eaten Mexican food in Mexico, I know that it doesn't have to be hot - you often choose the heat by adding your own chilli sauce - but too many places assume it must be mouth burning to be good.

Thinking about it, the people I know who choose hot curries are all men - although very few of them are 'macho'. I can't think of a female friend who goes for hot stuff....

Cubist said:
No, no, what Arch was referrring to is the piss-head tendency to think that their mates will be impressed if they eat something so spicy that their ears will ring, ring will sting etc etc etc etc..
Arch said:
Thank you, that's pretty much what I meant....Thinking about it, the people I know who choose hot curries are all men - although very few of them are 'macho'. I can't think of a female friend who goes for hot stuff....
OK OK I take the mild reproof upon myself, seeing as I have indeed - in my youth - probably 'shown off' by choosing a hot hot hot curry. But I'm older and maybe wiser now. I still like to - occasionally - have an extra-hot taster because I enjoy the 'buzz' it gives me. A sort of feelgood. Perhaps it's my version of the 'legal high', I don't know, it's certainly legal and not addictive and not - as far as I know - harmful unless indulged in too often. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

At one of my favourite curry places: the celebrated (if rather posh) Mumtaz in Bradford, they offer every dish with a mild/medium/hot rating choice. Nowadays, if I find myself there with others (we often go around Xmas time when visiting my sister's), if it comes into my head to choose the 'hot' option (not always!) I ask the waiter quietly and discreetly. Days of showing off are long past for me! But I'm often quite happy with a mild but flavoursome dish and a hot condiment which I can add to taste - or not if I prefer.

Over to my fellow chilli-addicts, then...:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, part of my point in the bit you quoted was that I know some very nice, mild chaps who are capable of eating curries that would floor me, and don't show off about it. There's an Indian supermarket near work, and they've taken to buying lime pickle in big plastic tubs to have with their lunchtime samosas, samosas that leave me gasping. In a curry house, you expect a good choice - there's always a pasanda for me, and hotter stuff for them, although they don't tend to go for the hottest of the hot.

It's in pubs and so on, where the lack of subtlety seems to happen the most.

I know, as well, it's a case of what you are accustomed to - eating out, I'm loath to push the envelope, so to speak, because I don't want to order and pay for something that I find hard to eat.

Top Bottom