Chilli Burgers and a pointless argument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

The cheese burger is the most compelling one, though you could also pick bacon burger, egg burger...

OP
OP
G

Greedo

HforHomeRun%20(ala.org).jpg

Debian

I have to say that IMHO a chilli burger should be made from a chilli enriched meat mix, not just have chilli sauce poured over it.

The comparison with a cheeseburger is not valid because the cheese is a solid additional component of the constructed burger and one can still have ketchup poured over it which doesn't make it a ketchup cheeseburger; the ketchup is a relish. In the same way a plain burger with chilli sauce poured over it is not a chilli burger, it's a plain burger with chilli relish or sauce. You wouldn't call a plain burger + ketchup a tomato burger would you?

Mark_Robson

Debian said:
I have to say that IMHO a chilli burger should be made from a chilli enriched meat mix, not just have chilli sauce poured over it.

The comparison with a cheeseburger is not valid because the cheese is a solid additional component of the constructed burger and one can still have ketchup poured over it which doesn't make it a ketchup cheeseburger; the ketchup is a relish. In the same way a plain burger with chilli sauce poured over it is not a chilli burger, it's a plain burger with chilli relish or sauce. You wouldn't call a plain burger + ketchup a tomato burger would you?
Food nerd :rolleyes: :becool:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Jezston said:
If a chilli burger should be made of chilli then a hamburger should be made of ham.

Ah, well now you're onto something!

A Hamburger is so-called because it derives from a type of large sliced sausage originating in...

Hamburg!

So, a Chilli-burger should really come from Chilli, innit.

Anyway, Greedo's mate really needs an 'Angry Whopper' It's food for the Gods :evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
<Arch readies the off switch and clears a path to bed so as not to get involved in a late night row, and posts:>

So, you embarassed your 'mate', and made him unhappy with something he was perfectly happy with before, and probably annoyed the staff into the bargain...

Do you find you keep friends for long?

Right, I'm off to bed!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Arch said:
<Arch readies the off switch and clears a path to bed so as not to get involved in a late night row, and posts:>

So, you embarassed your 'mate', and made him unhappy with something he was perfectly happy with before, and probably annoyed the staff into the bargain...

Do you find you keep friends for long?

Right, I'm off to bed!

istockphoto_3868327_big_yawn.jpg

Blondie.jpg

I do actually. I have them for years. Mainly because he knew it was a wind up and found it funny. So did the waitress and the manager in a place I go to all the time and know them. It wasn't some random place i'd never been in before. Different strokes for different folks dear! You don't find anything I do or say interesting or funny but you still can't help it!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I had a chilli burger in The Blackboys Inn recently and it was a regular burger with a dollop of chiili con carne on top.
plus chips and 2 pints of Harveys.

I'm going on a diet any day now:wacko:

Mark_Robson said:
No doubt spotted dick is out?
threebikesmcginty said:
Spotted dick anyone?
errrmmm... déjà vu....;):biggrin::biggrin:

My father was a great one for kicking up a fuss in restaurants. We were on holiday: we were queueing up at a cafeteria-type eatery somewhere in Hungary: I (then in my teens) was in front of him in the queue. The menu displayed was in Hungarian and German; I ordered something with my father's help (he spoke German but not Hungarian). Then my father ordered something different (so he said). When his plate arrived it looked identical to mine. He immediately exploded, started ranting at the serving staff (in German) "this isn't what I ordered, bring me what I ordered at once!" etc. etc. Because of the indeterminate appearance of the two plates (mine and his) and the vagueness of the menu, it was unclear whether it was my plate that was incorrect, or his. But he went on and on ranting and raving.... By the time the argument had died down my dinner had gone cold, and so had his. And I was wishing I'd jumped into the Balaton. xx(

I'm probably quite the opposite to him: I tend to keep quiet and just leave anything I don't want to eat. I do remember once (more recently - on a business trip) complaining to a waiter and refusing to have a dessert. They had served up supposed 'onion soup' which turned out to be concentrated and caramelized brine, and undrinkable. But that was very much the exception.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Re: Kicking up a fuss

Go to any National Trust property cafe on a Bank Holiday weekend, and at some point there'll be a hassled middle-aged man in a fleece loudly complaining about the (inflated) price of everything as he walks away from the till with fodder and drinks for his wife and kids + ageing in-laws.

I was once that man, but I have mended my ways given in. ;)

Top Bottom