Chilli con carne.... what spices do you add ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have one on the go now.
Added the chilli of course but note the bbc recipe say to add 1 tsp each of paprika and cumin ......which I have never thought of.
What think you ?

Gunk

Guru
Smoked paprika works really well, so does a dash of Lea and Perrins. Chocolate gives it some richness

Chief Broom

Veteran
I make a veggie chilli and use oregano/cumin/black pepper/soy sauce and chilli powder when i havent any fresh chillies
Instead of using plain tinned red beans i get the 'red beans in chilli sauce' which gives an extra richness and potency.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, Lea and Perrins

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have one on the go now.
Added the chilli of course but note the bbc recipe say to add 1 tsp each of paprika and cumin ......which I have never thought of.
What think you ?
Always Paprika both smoked and regular and Cumin. Also add Fennel. The Cumin and Fennel both as part-ground seeds to give that little hit of flavour every so often.
Recently (after reading a guardian article) am now adding the espresso grounds from my Gaggia - imparts extra richness as does good dark chocolate.
A splash of Soy sauce, Lea and Perrins or Mushroom ketchup adds extra umami.
I also favour a high ratio of beans* to meat.
Some Oregano near the end finishes it off nicely :-)

I assume Chilli (homegrown is best) is already part of the mix….

*Home prepared kidney beans are faaaaar superior to canned jobbies….

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always Paprika both smoked and regular and Cumin. Also add Fennel. The Cumin and Fennel both as part-ground seeds to give that little hit of flavour every so often.
Recently (after reading a guardian article) am now adding the espresso grounds from my Gaggia - imparts extra richness as does good dark chocolate.
A splash of Soy sauce, Lea and Perrins or Mushroom ketchup adds extra umami.
I also favour a high ratio of beans* to meat.
Some Oregano near the end finishes it off nicely :-)

I assume Chilli (homegrown is best) is already part of the mix….

*Home prepared kidney beans are faaaaar superior to canned jobbies….
Agreed, fresh rather than dried chillies is a must.
Another tip is use a chicken stock cube rather than beef or Oxo, it's too strong.

I've learned something today. I always thought umami was to do with Al Jolson. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom