China play pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After watching TraceVelo talk about some imitation speed play pedals I have decided to give them a whirl to see what they are like. I struggle with hot spots with SPD and with Look Leo’s so wondering if these cheap speed play will perform. I’ve ordered a spare pair of cleats in case the c clip breaks.

View: https://youtu.be/Mwt4SXTqJA0

Anyone got some? How do you rate them?

proletaratOne

I have a pair and also a pair of speed play on other bike

at first it was impossible to clip in with the China play, don’t know the actual company name if you do let me know

I then took the China plays c ring off and loosened it with a pipe expander have

now they work nothing short of amazing

seem to clip in and out better than my speed play s, But with allthings time will tell

I was gonna swear of speed play after using these cause they are so cheap

but now that speed play has a power meter coming out.., I might go back

I use speedplay and a start up was going to do speedplay power pedals and they failed but they were going to price at something like 250 quid. According to rainmaker these are likely to be 999 US dollars. I already have Quarg, stages,limits and 4iii powermeters across mine and my partners bikes, I think they all added up to around 999 dollars. I know nothing about those chinese speedplay type pedals though. Interesting though as I love my speedplays and a cheaper alternative is nice to know about.

Drago

Legendary Member
Isn't hot spots a function of the stiffness - or otherwise - of the sole of ones shoes?

Hypothetically speaking, if ones soles were utterly rigid (like my old Sidi's) it doesn't matter how big, small, or the location of the pedal contact point - the presure is evenly dosteivuted. If one's shoes are really floppy then even the biggest platforms can quickly cause significant foot discomfort problems, becaude maximum pressure becomes co centrated into a dmaller area. If your shoes arent stiff enough, or aren't stiff in the appropriate plane, it doesn't matter what fastening system you use.

Last edited:

proletaratOne

I use speedplay and a start up was going to do speedplay power pedals and they failed but they were going to price at something like 250 quid. According to rainmaker these are likely to be 999 US dollars. I already have Quarg, stages,limits and 4iii powermeters across mine and my partners bikes, I think they all added up to around 999 dollars. I know nothing about those chinese speedplay type pedals though. Interesting though as I love my speedplays and a cheaper alternative is nice to know about.
As of yet I don’t have a power meter

I figure with pedals it can be a real easy switch

The Limits powermeters are pods very much looking the stages pods, they are a pain to set up sometimes as you have to torque them correctly or you can get some very strange readings, the good thing about limits is they are only the pod and you can screw any pedal into them, of course the other bad thing is they are not made anymore My daughter had vectors they also had to be tourqed correctly and like all pedals the bearings wear out pain in the ass to sort .
My Favourite is the quarg part of the chainring spider and gives left and right, consistent readings. I got it on a cheap deal 50% off.

proletaratOne

The Limits powermeters are pods very much looking the stages pods, they are a pain to set up sometimes as you have to torque them correctly or you can get some very strange readings, the good thing about limits is they are only the pod and you can screw any pedal into them, of course the other bad thing is they are not made anymore My daughter had vectors they also had to be tourqed correctly and like all pedals the bearings wear out pain in the ass to sort .
My Favourite is the quarg part of the chainring spider and gives left and right, consistent readings. I got it on a cheap deal 50% off.
Thanks a lot, this has been pretty helpful

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Isn't hot spots a function of the stiffness - or otherwise - of the sole of ones shoes?

Hypothetically speaking, if ones soles were utterly rigid (like my old Sidi's) it doesn't matter how big, small, or the location of the pedal contact point - the presure is evenly dosteivuted. If one's shoes are really floppy then even the biggest platforms can quickly cause significant foot discomfort problems, becaude maximum pressure becomes co centrated into a dmaller area. If your shoes arent stiff enough, or aren't stiff in the appropriate plane, it doesn't matter what fastening system you use.
Bit of both i think
i used to use m520s for riding and with cheap aldi special shoes i could feel the pedal shape so needed to use a wider platform to spread the load, with my northwaves i can ride them with no issues at all

Top Bottom