Chinese carbon handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought some cheap Chinese integrated handlebars which look nice however the position on the bar where i need the clamp band to be is too thick 25mm when the max band size is 24.2mm, anyone had this issue and solved it?

Opened a dispute with Aliexpress but not expecting anything from it, perhaps i could sand down 0.8mm or just bin them and stop being so tight and by the real thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 31

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Trouble is if you file it down, are you creating a weakness? Will it snap when you've got the power down and put you potentially under the wheels of your local friendly amazon deliver driver?

These are the questions that would be running through my head. You may only get one chance at it...

Venod

Eh up
File the slots in the 24.2 dia clamps so they are longer allowing the clamp to open up while still retaining the threaded boss.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I bought 2 different sets of carbon bars cheaply from aliexpress a year or two back. One set appeared fairly decent whilst the other set crushed as I started to tighten the stem clamp. I decided not to use either just in case :laugh: Whilst most carbon bits will be coming out of a handful of factories, the branded stuff will have much more stringent quality control so if it's structural I buy branded kit these days. It doesnt prevent you getting a bad one, but it certainly minimizes the chances :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've bought lots of rims from China too, again there are good and bad. The first couple of pairs I bought from an aliexpress shop with lots of good feedback, I retired one pair of road rims as they were a bit flexible but still use a pair on my xc mtb. I've got 3 pairs of lightbicycle rims and they're great, just ordered a 4th pair for my enduro mtb :okay: winspace are also very good as are a few other brands, I wouldn't buy unbranded though.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I am looking at buying a pair of fully built wheels from them. How did you find them to deal with?

Generally very good from a service perspective, the rims are excellent and I hear only good things about their built wheels. The only downside is having to wait for them to be built and delivered :laugh: My first pair of rims got stuck for weeks in customs somewhere in europe but eventually arrived undamaged, not the fault of LightBicycle of course :laugh: I have a pair of their rims being made at the moment, hopefully they will be dispatched soon 😊 I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed :okay:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've bought a lot of non safety-critical parts from aliexpress recently for the build of N+1:
XOSS GPS computer
mounts for above
bottle cages
Bar tape
teflon powder for homebrew chain lubrication
various tools that don't get used often so I can't justify Park

all have been absolutely fine.

Just bought and fitted a carbon seatpost - not the lightest, more an MTB rugged stylee even though it's for a road bike. fingers (and other bodily parts) thoroughly crossed.
Thinking about trying out the the chinese copy of speedplay pedals, based on +ve review from TraceVelo.

but handlebars? I put my faith in branded (but second-hand) alloy from ebay.

Handlebars from AliExpress, what could possibly go wrong, I know I wouldn't buy them, dental work is expensive & painful
Yep, I agree on both counts, currently undergoing dental work for 4 new lateral crowns to replace the crumbling 20year old composites (which I wouldn’t recommend ever for cosmetic reasons as they just chip and look rubbish after a few years as they stain really easily).

XOSS GPS computer
Does it have power estimates and is it a good computer? I find them integrating but haven’t yet pressed the button.

Top Bottom