Chiropractor or osteopath?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi all, I work as a self employed gardener and generally suffer with a bit of lower back pain which I try to keep in check with stretches.
However, whilst sweeping of all things, my right lower back shot out a tremendous pain. It subsided a bit then I raced a 10 mile TT that evening which has really made it much worse, the position of the TT bike is obviously very aggressive.
I've got ride London on Sunday!
So my question is would you visit a chiropractor or osteopath to try to help the situation? It seems definitely to the right of my lower back not in the middle.
Any advice welcome, obviously being self employed and a gardener, rest is not an option this time of year (I'm cutting hedges today).
Cheers.

Osteo. Probsbly depends more on the person treating you though as that'll have a greater difference.

Julia9054

Guru
I guess you've never been to see a GP with back issues then? Mine was pretty useless & offered NHS physio, which had around 3 months waiting list :sad:
I went to see my GP a few years ago about my injured shoulder. I was referred to an NHS physio but also given the number of a private physio if i didn't want to wait.

I guess you've never been to see a GP with back issues then? Mine was pretty useless & offered NHS physio, which had around 3 months waiting list :sad:
.... at which point you get referred back to your GP as the clinical details are out of date, and a new referral is required

Used to be a sneaky way of avoiding the targets

vickster

Legendary Member
Private sports physio. Will be better at diagnosing an MSK issue than your average GP. Should get in within a few days. Probably around £50-60 for initial assessment. Make sure you find one who does massage, ultrasound, and especially acupuncture which can be extremely effective for back spasms

Do you have any pains down the back of your legs or buttocks? If so, consider A&E if severe!

X Ray won't show anything much muscular/soft tissue

You might want to consider deferring Ride London depending on their advice. Staying off the bike for a week, gentle stretches, ibuprofen might help. Pretty much what a GP would suggest based on my experience

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Private sports physio. Will be better at diagnosing an MSK issue than your average GP. Should get in within a few days. Probably around £50-60 for initial assessment. Make sure you find one who does massage, ultrasound, and especially acupuncture which can be extremely effective for back spasms

Do you have any pains down the back of your legs or buttocks? If so, consider A&E if severe!

X Ray won't show anything much muscular/soft tissue

You might want to consider deferring Ride London depending on their advice. Staying off the bike for a week, gentle stretches, ibuprofen might help. Pretty much what a GP would suggest based on my experience
Yeah been doing gentle stretches and ibuprofen gel legs not too bad but I can't stretch like I could a few days ago ie I could easily touch my toes yet Friday my wife had to put my socks and boots on and tie my laces for me!
I did 127 miles over 8 hours riding time on Saturday night then another 28 on Monday night then the TT on Thursday, I've been pretty good riding up to nearly 70 mile rides on the last few weekends too for the build up to London, maybe I've just over done it this week. It certainly feels muscular, but then I've no idea.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I would get asked the question "is it an emmergency?" I would answer "no" because, well in my eyes it isn't, then get an appointment for probably 2-3 weeks time and that's just to see the quack!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I would get asked the question "is it an emmergency?" I would answer "no" because, well in my eyes it isn't, then get an appointment for probably 2-3 weeks time and that's just to see the quack!
Hang on. You're self-employed and have suffered an injury while working which means it's painful to work and do what you enjoy. If that's not an emergency I don't know what is.

I agree with @vickster - you need a physio. They're the only health professionals properly trained and accredited to treat this sort of problem. There's a reason sports teams hire physios and not osteos or chiropractors.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have 3 months off with full pay and rest, after all you are self employed and can have time off whenever you want. Well at least that is what I am often told by people who have never been self employed.

With injuries like this I always seem to get the best help from a good sports physio, luckily for me I found one who cycles and has raced. The others I found a bit snake oil, but I am aware others have different ideas.

By the nature of my working I am often pulling or pushing from a very poor position, I seem to get far fewer problems since I started swimming 2k 4 times a week.

I hope it clears up soon and that you enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hang on. You're self-employed and have suffered an injury while working which means it's painful to work and do what you enjoy. If that's not an emergency I don't know what is.

I agree with @vickster - you need a physio. They're the only health professionals properly trained and accredited to treat this sort of problem. There's a reason sports teams hire physios and not osteos or chiropractors.
Yeah I suppose it's just me, an emmergency to me means "life threatening or something! Don't like wasting their time.
As an update I've just had a really hot bath and its definitely improved for having one, I'm off to get some heat rub and give that a go but I think a sports phisio is the way to go.

Top Bottom