Chiropractor vs Physio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Are they the same? Suffering with persistent back pain at the moment and have had a couple of physio sessions mainly comprising of stretching exercises Not sure if I'm being impatient but not seeing much improvement and was wondering if chiropractor would be a better option..

Sharky

Guru
Googling came up with this definition...

The main difference between a Physio and chiropractor is traditionally chiropractors focus more on the function of the spine and pelvis and it's alignment and effect on the nervous system through the use of manipulation, where a Physio will focus more on the muscles using mobilisations and exercises.

si_c

Guru
At the risk of being controversial, a chiropractor is a quack, being a purveyor of pseudoscience. It's also important to note that while many of them style themselves as doctors, they are not in any way trained in the medical field.

A physio is a trained professional.

That's the difference.

bobzmyunkle

At the risk of being controversial, a chiropractor is a quack, being a purveyor of pseudoscience. It's also important to note that while many of them style themselves as doctors, they are not in any way trained in the medical field.
I'd agree, although in my experience there are plenty of physios who will treat the symptoms rather than the underlying cause. Keeps them in business as the symptoms then recur. Finding a good physio isn't simple.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am with @Ian H re "properly qualified and experienced".
I permanently damaged my lower spine back in 1966......a lifting accident.
I have spent a fortune on chiroptactors and in the early days that worked. In later years that ceased to benefit me.
about 15 years ago I tried a Physio that had worked for Warrington rugby club and he was brilliant. Helped me such a lot AND doesn't rip me off.

vickster

Legendary Member

A physio is a trained professional.

That's the difference.

Chiropractors do now a more full training but I’d still use a physio. Osteopaths also deal with spines
https://www.gcc-uk.org/education-and-registration/studying-chiropractic

To the OP, what has the physio diagnosed as the problem?
How old are you? Most spines older than 30 will have some wear and tear

Does your physio do deep tissue massage? If not, I’d pay for a sports massage on top

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Thanks for the replies, physio suggested tightening of the muscles in my lower back and recommended exercises however problem still persists. Had back issues for a long time due to lifting heavy goods at work however normally resolved after a few days or week not getting any younger so I suppose recovery will be longer.Have been recommended a Chiropractor and from their webpage they undergo a fair bit of study before being let loose on patients leaning towards giving it a try.

mustang1

Guru
A quick Mustang (like Google, but better) of this shows:
Chiropractor is like a fruitcake, physiotherapist generally know what's going on. Although some people say a chiro has helped them a lot. Mmmh but mustanging it still shows chiro to be fruitcake.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies, physio suggested tightening of the muscles in my lower back and recommended exercises however problem still persists. Had back issues for a long time due to lifting heavy goods at work however normally resolved after a few days or week not getting any younger so I suppose recovery will be longer.Have been recommended a Chiropractor and from their webpage they undergo a fair bit of study before being let loose on patients leaning towards giving it a try.

Who recommended? A physio?

si_c

Guru
My first stop for back pain is an osteopath - he has never failed to sort me out (and osteopaths are properly trained and regulated too).

Osteopathy is a lot like Homeopathy, it's a CAM type therapy with no proven benefits. Unlike Chiropracty however it is fairly harmless and offers some of the same benefits that a Sports Physio would offer.

Top Bottom