Chiropractor vs Physio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Friend who I have no reason to doubt.

Fair enough. I have a friend who has a trusted chiropractor and she is extremely picky about her healthcare providers! He’s extremely well qualified and not a quack at all

Are they the same? Suffering with persistent back pain at the moment and have had a couple of physio sessions mainly comprising of stretching exercises Not sure if I'm being impatient but not seeing much improvement and was wondering if chiropractor would be a better option..

Sounds like you ARE being impatient, but my experience says that getting more than 1 view on your issues can be very helpful.
(although you need the confidence to be able to decide which advice to take, if they conflict. And to spot BS if required.)

I have a somewhat rosier view of Chiro's than most here. Perhaps I've been lucky! But I do in fact use a local physio ("sports" physio? Not sure) by default. If he fails to fix any future problem, I will seek 2nd opinions ...

Tenkaykev

Guru
I had an excellent physio for many years. He sorted out my various running injuries. He would always stress that it was vitally important to find the cause of the injury ( unless an obvious traumatic event ) and remedy the cause as well as treating the symptoms.
It was a bit embarrassing that it took a couple of visits to his treatment rooms before I realised that he was practically blind. He had had a very successful practice in London, with several other Physios working under him. He had a degenerative eye disease and moved back to Dorset. Sadly he passed away a few years ago, his son now sorts out my injuries.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Are they the same? Suffering with persistent back pain at the moment and have had a couple of physio sessions mainly comprising of stretching exercises Not sure if I'm being impatient but not seeing much improvement and was wondering if chiropractor would be a better option..

If a chiropractor (or anyone else for that matter) get's you to lie on your side with your knee drawn up to your chest and says "I'll just click you back into position", get up immediately and don't go back. The body is not designed to be clicked anywhere. I was told this by a sports physio whose judgement I value highly. In fact, shortly after treating me he was head hunted by Chelsea Football Club. I'm not sure if treating me got him the job!!

CXRAndy

Guru
Mobility is usually the cure for minor back problems.

I sometimes get back /sciatica issues-all cured by first, get moving around, then doing weight training -go figure

Ive had over 30 years of back problems - some so severe to send me to A+E - I've also had steroid and denervation injections into my spine. My observations are

1.) Dont underestimate how much pain can be caused by muscles going into spasm - or even just getting a bit tight

2.) Don't discount hefty painkillers in the very short term - If your back starts to tighten you subconsciously hold your back different

3.) Sounds simple - but get pain free - by short term use of cocodamal /Naproxen - then get that back mobile - finally work on the core

4.)" You don't have a bad back - you have a weak back" - I know sounds terribly macho - but for me reasonable heavy dead-lifts in the gym have got me the most pain free I've been for years -

Some advice I picked up on here - Keep as flexible as you can - and don't stop doing anything.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mobility is usually the cure for minor back problems.

I sometimes get back /sciatica issues-all cured by first, get moving around, then doing weight training -go figure

When I were in the dibble I had an attack of sciatica. The force doc packed me off to see the force physio and he was brilliant. Over the course of a few - very painful- sessions he was able to manipulate the nerve to a fractionally different position and completely fixed it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The former Mrs Z used to go to the chiropractor every time she had a bad back. He always recommended several more visits, obviously.

I rarely get back problems but the last time I wrenched my lower back (carrying very heavy bags of cow manure down slippery steps), I just took ibuprofen and stood up for a walk every hour. It was fine in ten days, but was crippling at the time.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve used all 3 for various back injuries.

I found sports physios and osteopaths to be far more holistic, with massage, manipulation and exercise.
Chiropractors often do hard manipulations which can offer instant relief but wasn’t a holistic approach.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've been pondering this too after I did something to my back the day I was refurbishing my Brompton. It didn't seem that bad at the time and a few days later, it seemed to be getting better and almost gone. I was walking around the supermarket and coughed and suddenly took some sort of spasm at the bottom of my back and it was agonising but passed quickly.

The next morning, I could barely get myself out of bed but once I did get up and moving, it wasn't too bad. The following morning, I had the same agonising problem trying to get upright again. The next few nights I slept in my armchair as I didn't want the pain of getting out of bed again.

I did think about a chiropractor as I know there is one who operates around the corner but just didn't fancy the idea of being 'manipulated' so booked an appointment with a physio. She has worked wonders with gentle massage and giving me exercises to help the muscle imbalance she feels probably contributed to my problem in the first place. All very gentle and no clicks or cracks. I feel I made the right choice.

I was discussing it with my hospital consultant friend who said never go to a chiropractor as they potentially do more harm than good. I was looking at the website for the nearby chiropractor, who also advertises as being able to treat injuries in horses! Why would I let a horse doctor work on my spine?

Slick

Guru
I laugh at threads like this, as it becomes clear that it doesn't matter what question you ask on CC, the illuminate will come forth and impart wisdom as fact and declare that no other opinions are required.

My anecdotal tuppence worth may vary from the norm, but after spending my whole working life in heavy industry as well as much of my childhood, I've suffered with all sorts of back and joint pain due to years of doing it wrong.

I've been to a variety of practitioners from a variety of complaints, and most of them treat any injury the same way. I was going regularly to an Osteopath who could throw me around the room like a rag doll, and I'd walk out of there like a teenager again. Painkillers never worked for me for anything worse than a sore head so this was perfect. I went with another issue and he instantly recommended that I get a sports massage, which also worked a treat as I go to this girl who it seems has the strength of 10 men as she can crush a muscle to the bone to get it to release. Her husband works with her part time as he is a retained fire fighter and even he needs a lie down after crushing my muscles to bits. It can be uncomfortable or even slightly painful at times, but you know you are going to reap the benefits later.

I've also been to a number of physios and they basically treated any injury much the same way, by manipulation and stretches.

As I said, Painkillers have never worked for me so I would go to anyone who could keep me mobile and frequently do.

Different strokes and all that. :okay:

Top Bottom