Chocolate milk/shake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I've read a lot on here about chocolate drinks being good for recovery, and I've even tried it myself after long rides, although I didn't stick with it because I didn't like it very much.

Can someone explain why they're good?

And would a glass of milk and some chocolate do the same job?

Alun

Guru
Or just the chocolate :whistle:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Funny you should mention that!

I would think that it is the milk that does the majority of the work but whenever I see a study of this sort, they always use chocolate milkshake.

I yet to find an explanation for this, but see no reason why milk and a piece of chocolate wouldn't do the job.

In fact, I doubt that they use top grade cocoa powder in milkshakes (or that much of it), so a piece of good quality chocolate with a high content of cocoa solids might well be an improvement.

Either way, a little of what you fancy...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember reading an article in Cycling Plus about it. Basically it was carbs from the sugar content and milk, protein from the milk, something special in the chocolate and I can't remember what that was, obviously water in the milk, calcium in the milk, vitamins and minerals ...

I'd say a bar of chocolate and a glass of milk would do the trick!

caimg

Über Member
Hahaha jimmy I see you finally came round to the realisation that it's the mill doing the work and the choc is almost irrelevant. As I said (in the food! Thread I think it was), you're not going to get the supposed benefits of high quality cocoa / cacao in a high-street shake. If you want a good recovery shake, go for milk + protein powder. Sugar from the milk, protein to repair broken muscle in the powder, simples.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member

Thanks for the link. The studies were a bit heavy going in places, but very interesting.

I would think that it is the milk that does the majority of the work but whenever I see a study of this sort, they always use chocolate milkshake.

In fact, I doubt that they use top grade cocoa powder in milkshakes (or that much of it), so a piece of good quality chocolate with a high content of cocoa solids might well be an improvement.

That was what I was wondering. I eat (by taste preference) chocolate with 70% cocoa solids, which is apparently (and, like Colin, I can't remember what the good stuff in chocolate is) supposed to be much better for you than chocolate with a lower percentage.

Maybe I'll try that after my long rides. A glass of milk and chocolate is quite appealing.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've just had a mug of milk with a quarter-teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of instant coffee as a recovery drink. Rather good, actually. If I'd been bothered I would have dug out the espresso maker.

brockers

This comes up every couple of months or so, as somebody discovers an article about the magical restorative properties of chocolate milk. Usually when asking what the particular ingredient in cocoa is that makes it different from just milk and sugar, you end up with a shedload of tedious responses along the lines of 'who cares!!! It's chocolate !!!!!! Nomnomnomm etc :laugh::hyper:' and other smilies. There is a report out there suggesting that recovery times are increased by a tiny amount when using chocolate milk, versus milk and sugar alone. I don't think anybody's quite got to the exact biochemistry, but ISTR it had something to do with the cocoa accelerating protein and sugar uptake. In the real world though, you might just as well drink milk. Personally, I tend to whizz up a yoghurt/milk/fruit/oat/honey smoothie. Or open a couple of beers!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
In the real world though, you might just as well drink milk.

That depends on whether you're looking for the perfect excuse to eat (more) chocolate :biggrin:

So, my new recovery options are a glass of milk and a bar of chocolate in summer, and a big mug of hot chocolate in winter.

I love cycling :biggrin:

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Basically it was carbs from the sugar content and milk, protein from the milk, something special in the chocolate and I can't remember what that was

This looks particularly relevant to this discussion:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17511011

Dr Golomb and her team believe that antioxidant compounds, called catechins, can improve lean muscle mass and reduce weight - at least studies in rodents would suggest this might be so.

Mice fed for 15 days with epicatechin (present in dark chocolate) had improved exercise performance and observable changes to their muscle composition.

They say clinical trials are now needed in humans to see if this is the case.

I've heard the milk thing mentioned before. Is it best if it's virtually fat free milk? My usual recovery drink after a tough ride I must admit is usually beer or wine - not good I guess.

Top Bottom