Choice of Brooks saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Due to my limited budget I have a choice of 2 Brooks saddle, both £60.
The Cambium C17
Brooks-B2000420-2.jpg

or the Brooks Eroica Ltd Edition
1434117985-90214000.jpg

I plan on attaching a saddle bag at some point, which is the better buy?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Assuming that the eroica is a variant on the team pro, that's a great saddle. I understand (again maybe wrongly) that the cambium is some rubber thing, and hence not a traditional brooks, hence would not be my choice.

That said I have a Brooksian arse and the team pro is perfect for me but doesn't suit everyone, and I confess I not seen in the flesh, never mind sat on a Cambium

outlash

also available in orange
Pick one, they're both pretty cheap for £60. I've got a Carradice on the back of my C15 without any isses. FWIW, the jury's still out on my C15, it's comfy at times, not at others. I'm coming round to thinking it's (or my backside) a bit fussy with regard to it's positioning and tilt.YMMV of course.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Assuming that the eroica is a variant on the team pro, that's a great saddle. I understand (again maybe wrongly) that the cambium is some rubber thing, and hence not a traditional brooks, hence would not be my choice.

That said I have a Brooksian arse and the team pro is perfect for me but doesn't suit everyone, and I confess I not seen in the flesh, never mind sat on a Cambium

Hated the stock saddle that came with my bike (forget what it was). Bought a C17 standard Brooks in the belief that I was probably a Brooks type and not a racer of any kind, but there was no way to know until you try.

For me, it was sort of ok, but after about 1k miles it still didn't feel like an armchair, so I'm not really certain about that 'once they are broken in' thing, well, not in my experience anyway, can't speak for others.

Was bought a Cambium as a present and it's certainly more comfortable out of the box than the standard Brooks, thus I guess it is less of a love it or hate it saddle and as prof says, perhaps not really a proper Brooks at all. End of the day though it is still on the bike and is pretty comfortable, also there are none of the concerns about getting it wet (rain, not anything else :P).

I never loved the original Brooks nor indeed hated it. But that's only my experience.

outlash

also available in orange
Doesn't look like it.

Whose selling it for 60? Do they have a Q&A section?

The image on the thread is from the Books website. Email Brooks themselves?

Old jon

Guru
Carradice do a QR saddlebag fitting, called Bagman, which clamps to the saddle rails, no need for loops. Had mine for a year with no problems.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I've used both a traditional leather Brooks (Colt) and one of those rubber things (Cambium). The Colt was more comfortable, eventually, but it was a good few months before it had broken in my rear end and the two had reached some sort of understanding. The Cambium, I find, does not quite deliver the same armchair like levels of comfort but it is plenty good enough for 100+ mile rides and was usable for those sort of rides straight out of the box. If you are looking for a saddle for life go for leather. If you intend to sell it with the bike and only keep it for a few years the Cambium is probably better. Both are great value at that price.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If your choice of saddle does not come with bag loops, you can always get these to attach to the rails.
16431.jpg

Top Bottom