Cholesterol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So yesterday I had my annual day of checks on my dodgy heart. No news on that so far, but my blood tests showed that I have quite high cholesterol - I'm a 7 when I should be a 5 or below.

I'm a vegetarian/sometimes pescatarian who exercises at least 5 times/week. However I eat a load of dairy - whole milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, coconut milk - and have very little resistance to cakes. I suspect that's what's to blame.

I'm determined to manage this through food and diet rather than take medication. I've done some research and have started my campaign this morning. But does anyone else have any experience of managing/lowering cholesterol through diet?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, I scored a 9 many moons ago, stopping eating a half camembert for lunch etc sorted it out to back around a 5.5.

however your raw score isn't that crucial, its the good to bad or bad to good ratio that is more important - ask your GP / practice nurse for that score and do a bit of research for the guidelines. whilst mine is never under 5, my good cholesterol is what is driving up the raw score number, so I'm quite chilled about that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine was 7.4 or something. Given I've got a good diet too, the doc said, nah, you aren't going to reduce it by diet. I do drink a fair amount of semi skimmed milk.

I have since learnt both my folks 'had' raised cholesterol. Unfortunately it is hereditary as well as diet.

I've been on a low dose of atoravastatin 20mg for 18 months. My cholesterol dropped to 5 quickly, and even though I often forget my tablet, it's still 5 (recent blood test).

Despite those that will tell you it's the devil's work, I've had absolutely no side effects - I take mine at night. It does make you regular - I was anyway. My mum had side effects on another pill, so went to atoravastatin and is fine, as is my dad.

Better than a heart attack in later life. Any side effects (usually muscle aches) change the medication.

Unfortunately it's age and genes !

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
With a combined HDL/LDL of 7 (I assume it's combined although you don't say) it's very unlikely that diet will bring it back into normal levels. There are 5 main components to your cholesterol:

1) Genetics. Specifically familial hypercholesterolemia. If you have this you're born with high cholesterol and this component of your score can't be modified other than by medication
2) Exercise - you're doing plenty so that isn't a factor
3) Weight - you're exercising 5 times a week so I guess you're not significantly overweight
4) Smoking - presume you don't?
5) Diet

You would be very hard pressed to drive your cholesterol number up to 7 by diet alone so I'm guessing there is some genetic component. I'm sorry to say that it is very unlikely you will be able to bring it back within "normal" limits via change in diet as a lot must be (1).

I was in exactly the same situation as you. LDL was 5 (much too high) but it was familial (my Mum had same) and no amount of lifestyle change would bring it down to safer levels. So when I hit 50 I went on statins and the LDL fell to 2 immediately. Of course I exercise and eat sensibly for all sort of health benefits, but not to reduce my cholesterol

BTW, you don't say what the split is of HDL/LDL which is important.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yes, I scored a 9 many moons ago, stopping eating a half camembert for lunch etc sorted it out to back around a 5.5.

however your raw score isn't that crucial, its the good to bad or bad to good ratio that is more important - ask your GP / practice nurse for that score and do a bit of research for the guidelines. whilst mine is never under 5, my good cholesterol is what is driving up the raw score number, so I'm quite chilled about that.

Yeah, I definitely need the breakdown. Thanks.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
With a combined HDL/LDL of 7 (I assume it's combined although you don't say) it's very unlikely that diet will bring it back into normal levels. There are 5 main components to your cholesterol:

1) Genetics. Specifically familial hypercholesterolemia. If you have this you're born with high cholesterol and this component of your score can't be modified other than by medication
2) Exercise - you're doing plenty so that isn't a factor
3) Weight - you're exercising 5 times a week so I guess you're not significantly overweight
4) Smoking - presume you don't?
5) Diet

You would be very hard pressed to drive your cholesterol number up to 7 by diet alone so I'm guessing there is some genetic component. I'm sorry to say that it is very unlikely you will be able to bring it back within "normal" limits via change in diet as a lot must be (1).

I was in exactly the same situation as you. LDL was 5 (much too high) but it was familial (my Mum had same) and no amount of lifestyle change would bring it down to safer levels. So when I hit 50 I went on statins and the LDL fell to 2 immediately. Of course I exercise and eat sensibly for all sort of health benefits, but not to reduce my cholesterol

BTW, you don't say what the split is of HDL/LDL which is important.

Oh that's depressing...and you sound quite knowledgeable so I can't ignore you! My mum does have relatively high cholesterol so it may well be because of that. I am going to do my best via diet for 3 months and then get tested again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
50 seems to be the magic age I'm afraid ! I'm exactly the same as Nick ! Same issues. Got to be something if statins also reduce the risk of covid attaching to cells as well also !

Are you on meds for your dicky ticker - certainly try the diet for 3 months, but also watch what they put you on. Atoravastatin seems to be the one with fewest side effects - my doc is quite good that way - he doesn't go for the cheapest.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
So yesterday I had my annual day of checks on my dodgy heart. No news on that so far, but my blood tests showed that I have quite high cholesterol - I'm a 7 when I should be a 5 or below.

I'm a vegetarian/sometimes pescatarian who exercises at least 5 times/week. However I eat a load of dairy - whole milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, coconut milk - and have very little resistance to cakes. I suspect that's what's to blame.

I'm determined to manage this through food and diet rather than take medication. I've done some research and have started my campaign this morning. But does anyone else have any experience of managing/lowering cholesterol through diet?

I had a heart attack, 23 years ago, so, my experiences may well be way out of date, but... I am still here at 73 going on 74....

At the time of my heart attack, I had high cholesterol (I don't remember the breakdown). I also had a sedentary, stressful job, didn't do. enough exercise, and, an addiction to chocolate and other. goodies. I was also about 1stone overweight, according to the now rather discredited BMI measure.

After discharge from hospital, my GP wanted to load me up with medication for cholesterol, Blood Pressure, etc. I don't like taking medication, if it is avoidable, so, I resisted this. approach.

Instead:

- I improved my diet (drastically. reduced intake of fats), mainly by cutting out junk food, reducing chocolate etc.

- I increased by exercise levels, partly through rekindling an interest in cycling, and, partly by incorporating walking into my daily routine (ie much time walk from office, walk to metro station instead of taking car).

- I have kept up the healthier diet and exercise, into retirement, although, I am not obsessed with it. ie, I still indulge in a bottle of Red Wine, a few beers with my "mates" and the odd chocolate bar.

- I learned to control the stress, not easy, but, most things I stressed about were not really that important, when compared to death ;)

The result was I lost the excess 1 stone in weight, and my cholesterol levels dropped to acceptable levels (3-4, sorry, don't know breakdown), and BP came into acceptable levels.

As the years passed, I suppose and combination of old age and complacency, my cholesterol and BP have crept up, I am now on 10mg Atorvastatin, and, Atenenol for BP. But, levels are. still in tolerance, I feel I am taking minimum medication, and, as I said above, I am still here.

Good luck.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
According to my Blood Doctor, genes play a much more important role than diet.

Referral followed an Age 50 Well Man Clinic @ GP - full MOT!

I was above 7, with a diet of nearly 100% home-cooked from scratch, low-fat, regular fish, and loads of exercise.

Statins brought it down below 5 before inducing a Lupus type rash, I'm now on Ezitmibe (blocks take up rather than production)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
According to my Blood Doctor, genes play a much more important role than diet.

Referral followed an Age 50 Well Man Clinic @ GP - full MOT!

I was above 7, with a diet of nearly 100% home-cooked from scratch, low-fat, regular fish, and loads of exercise.

Statins brought it down below 5 before inducing a Lupus type rash, I'm now on Ezitmibe (blocks take up rather than production)

Yes, I would not dispute that view. Not a statistically significant sample, but, my Father died of heart attack (age 49), my two brothers, and myself have had heart/circulation related health problems. But, other than, perhaps, engaging a "no win no fee lawyer" to sue your parents, there isn't much you can do about genes, so, basically, all you can do it influence lifestyle, try the medication, and hope ;)

Top Bottom