Cholesterol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Here's a real left-of-field, way-out-there wacky practice which you should probably do some proper research on if you feel like trying it. I read that, given their diet, the French have an unusually low incidence of cardio-vascular problems and that this anomaly is most marked in the Périgord region. One dietary difference that might be significant is that this region has an unusually high consumption of goose and duck fat. So for 10 years or so, I have used goose fat where in the past I would have used butter or margarine. I have no particular cardio-vascular problems or known family susceptibilities and, oh my, does that goose fat taste good! Definitely take this as information and not advice; but maybe worth discussing with your doctor if the idea appeals.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Here's a real left-of-field, way-out-there wacky practice which you should probably do some proper research on if you feel like trying it. I read that, given their diet, the French have an unusually low incidence of cardio-vascular problems and that this anomaly is most marked in the Périgord region. One dietary difference that might be significant is that this region has an unusually high consumption of goose and duck fat. So for 10 years or so, I have used goose fat where in the past I would have used butter or margarine. I have no particular cardio-vascular problems or known family susceptibilities and, oh my, does that goose fat taste good! Definitely take this as information and not advice; but maybe worth discussing with your doctor if the idea appeals.

That is indeed quite left-of-field but it sounds delicious :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Like @Cathryn, I was dead against the idea of long term medication when the issue came up eight years ago. I'd heard horror stories about possible side effects from polypharmacy etc but my family has a few doctors in it and they said "just take them". I've been on four different ticker-related drugs for years now and I've got off Scot-free apart from a cough from Ramipril. Fortunately, my GP suggested an alternative that banished it. The drugs won't suit everybody, and I fully respect those who want to try alternative routes. Personally, I've no idea if the drugs are doing me any good but they certainly don't seem to be doing much harm so I'll continue.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
So yesterday I had my annual day of checks on my dodgy heart. No news on that so far, but my blood tests showed that I have quite high cholesterol - I'm a 7 when I should be a 5 or below.

I'm a vegetarian/sometimes pescatarian who exercises at least 5 times/week. However I eat a load of dairy - whole milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, coconut milk - and have very little resistance to cakes. I suspect that's what's to blame.

I'm determined to manage this through food and diet rather than take medication. I've done some research and have started my campaign this morning. But does anyone else have any experience of managing/lowering cholesterol through diet?
I am with @T4tomo on that. Years ago, before I understood cholesterol, i was told it was 8.9. The Doc said I was a heart attack waiting to happen.
I went to a herbal type guy who asked "was it good or bad cholesterol"?,
When I told him the doc hadn't said, he said, to the effect, load of b*llocks.
OK, i cut right back on cheese and sausages etc which I loved.....but 25 years later I am still here (I think)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anybody who has enjoyed rillettes would be happy to chomp on them until they draw their last breath.

Last edited:
It is a pain! Your plan sounds like mine...less dairy, more plants for a few months and see how that affects it! I’m only just 46 and would prefer not to take any medication for as long as possible although I’ll be grateful for it if and when it’s necessary!!

I have a mate and colleague Cathryn who last year was on a training course in Switzerland. Taken very ill and went into hospital there. His Cholesterol was sky high and very close to a heart attack. Brought on by years of crap diet and travelling. Anyway back in UK his doctor had no choice but to prescribe Statins and said he would remain on them. He had read the bad stories of long term use and also had family members who had had bad experiences so was dead set against this. He turned his diet around, went vegan-ish :whistle: and massively reduced his cholesterol and blood pressure. Think he is still on statins at minute. He is 51 now by the way.
You’re the same as me. Tackle things through diet and exercise as a first resort. Good luck, and stay focused, but don’t worry if you have the occasional blow out. Just don’t make them every week.
Good advice, Avoid the pills if possible

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have a mate and colleague Cathryn who last year was on a training course in Switzerland. Taken very ill and went into hospital there. His Cholesterol was sky high and very close to a heart attack. Brought on by years of crap diet and travelling. Anyway back in UK his doctor had no choice but to prescribe Statins and said he would remain on them. He had read the bad stories of long term use and also had family members who had had bad experiences so was dead set against this. He turned his diet around, went vegan-ish :whistle: and massively reduced his cholesterol and blood pressure. Think he is still on statins at minute. He is 51 now by the way.

Good advice, Avoid the pills if possible

I'm glad your mate is okay. I'm vegetarian but I eat a lot of full-fat dairy so I suspect that's the culprit. I'm cutting down now, sadly.

I
I'm so glad you're okay.
Went on a drugs trial a few years ago for a drug to help reduce cholesterol. They didn't tell me whether I was on a placebo or the actual drug but from my heart check ups I think I was on the actual drug. It seemed to have lowered my cholesterol without any side effects. It was aimed at people who had had a heart attack or TIA's. We were paid for the parking at the hospital . I can't remember the name of the drug .

Top Bottom