Cholesterol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had a heart attack, 23 years ago, so, my experiences may well be way out of date, but... I am still here at 73 going on 74....

At the time of my heart attack, I had high cholesterol (I don't remember the breakdown). I also had a sedentary, stressful job, didn't do. enough exercise, and, an addiction to chocolate and other. goodies. I was also about 1stone overweight, according to the now rather discredited BMI measure.

After discharge from hospital, my GP wanted to load me up with medication for cholesterol, Blood Pressure, etc. I don't like taking medication, if it is avoidable, so, I resisted this. approach.

Instead:

- I improved my diet (drastically. reduced intake of fats), mainly by cutting out junk food, reducing chocolate etc.

- I increased by exercise levels, partly through rekindling an interest in cycling, and, partly by incorporating walking into my daily routine (ie much time walk from office, walk to metro station instead of taking car).

- I have kept up the healthier diet and exercise, into retirement, although, I am not obsessed with it. ie, I still indulge in a bottle of Red Wine, a few beers with my "mates" and the odd chocolate bar.

- I learned to control the stress, not easy, but, most things I stressed about were not really that important, when compared to death ;)

The result was I lost the excess 1 stone in weight, and my cholesterol levels dropped to acceptable levels (3-4, sorry, don't know breakdown), and BP came into acceptable levels.

As the years passed, I suppose and combination of old age and complacency, my cholesterol and BP have crept up, I am now on 10mg Atorvastatin, and, Atenenol for BP. But, levels are. still in tolerance, I feel I am taking minimum medication, and, as I said above, I am still here.

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing this - it's really helpful.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its the ratio of one type of cholestrol to the other that is important, not the absolute level. Divide the total level by the HDL level, and if its below 4:1 you can relax.

So yesterday I had my annual day of checks on my dodgy heart. No news on that so far, but my blood tests showed that I have quite high cholesterol - I'm a 7 when I should be a 5 or below.

I'm a vegetarian/sometimes pescatarian who exercises at least 5 times/week. However I eat a load of dairy - whole milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, coconut milk - and have very little resistance to cakes. I suspect that's what's to blame.

I'm determined to manage this through food and diet rather than take medication. I've done some research and have started my campaign this morning. But does anyone else have any experience of managing/lowering cholesterol through diet?
Cake, oh how I love cake....wife baked a banana and cherry cake with sultanas yesterday and it was half gone by tea time :shy:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Last time I had my cholesterol checked, it was 4.6 and the doctor said I had a good balance of good cholesterol. I have been on 20 mg atavorstatin for at least 20 years now when the level was 8 then. It doesn't bother me at all, I take my little pill every night and that's that. We have a history of high cholesterol in our family so better to be safe. I have a blood test every 6 months to keep a check on it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Its the ratio of one type of cholestrol to the other that is important, not the absolute level. Divide the total level by the HDL level, and if its below 4:1 you can relax.

Mine is 2.8 at last check (about two weeks ago), perhaps, I can indulge in a bar of chocolate this evening? ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So yesterday I had my annual day of checks on my dodgy heart. No news on that so far, but my blood tests showed that I have quite high cholesterol - I'm a 7 when I should be a 5 or below.

I'm a vegetarian/sometimes pescatarian who exercises at least 5 times/week. However I eat a load of dairy - whole milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, coconut milk - and have very little resistance to cakes. I suspect that's what's to blame.

I'm determined to manage this through food and diet rather than take medication. I've done some research and have started my campaign this morning. But does anyone else have any experience of managing/lowering cholesterol through diet?
Welcome to the club!
I have struggled with high Cholesterol all my life (genetic - family history etc) even into double figures when young, mild heart-attack at 42, stent etc. Been on Statins of various sorts on and off (am not good at regularly taking them)since and am 58 now. Keeps Cholesterol levels to 5.5/6 ish.
HOWEVER! Did Veganuary without Statins and before Christmas I was 8.4 with no Statins, during Veganuary I was just under 6 with no Statins. OK I went from Omnivore to Vegan but am not a big meat eater, BUT I consume shed-loads of Dairy particularly cheese inc. full fat milk. Am certain this has played a significant part.
So I'm on oat-milk 100% now, Flora pro-active, (it's surprising what you adjust too) and really limiting my cheese intake (Vegan Cheese is a bit schitt), upping my plants. I have replaced 2 eggs for brekkie every day with 2 slices wholegrain toast and Marmite.
Might be worth stopping dairy for a month, getting retested and taking it from there?

It's a pain isn't it?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Oh that's depressing...and you sound quite knowledgeable so I can't ignore you! My mum does have relatively high cholesterol so it may well be because of that. I am going to do my best via diet for 3 months and then get tested again.
My high cholesterol became apparent when I had a health MOT when I was about 35. Until I got to 50 the received wisdom was that my risk factors (not overweight, exercised, didn't smoke) meant that I didn't need statins. It was only when I got to 50 that this changed

I don't know your personal circumstances but it may well be that statins aren't particularly appropriate now anyway. As you suggest, modify your diet somewhat and see what the effect is. If it does the trick and you can stick to the diet then that's great. If you find it doesn't change your cholesterol much then I suggest go back to eating what makes you happy and consider statins as a way of managing your high cholesterol risk when your combined risk factor (age, HDL/LDL, weight, exercise, smoking etc) makes it appropriate

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Welcome to the club!
I have struggled with high Cholesterol all my life (genetic - family history etc) even into double figures when young, mild heart-attack at 42, stent etc. Been on Statins of various sorts on and off (am not good at regularly taking them)since and am 58 now. Keeps Cholesterol levels to 5.5/6 ish.
HOWEVER! Did Veganuary without Statins and before Christmas I was 8.4 with no Statins, during Veganuary I was just under 6 with no Statins. OK I went from Omnivore to Vegan but am not a big meat eater, BUT I consume shed-loads of Dairy particularly cheese inc. full fat milk. Am certain this has played a significant part.
So I'm on oat-milk 100% now, Flora pro-active, (it's surprising what you adjust too) and really limiting my cheese intake (Vegan Cheese is a bit schitt), upping my plants. I have replaced 2 eggs for brekkie every day with 2 slices wholegrain toast and Marmite.
Might be worth stopping dairy for a month, getting retested and taking it from there?

It's a pain isn't it?

It is a pain! Your plan sounds like mine...less dairy, more plants for a few months and see how that affects it! I’m only just 46 and would prefer not to take any medication for as long as possible although I’ll be grateful for it if and when it’s necessary!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It is a pain! Your plan sounds like mine...less dairy, more plants for a few months and see how that affects it! I’m only just 46 and would prefer not to take any medication for as long as possible although I’ll be grateful for it if and when it’s necessary!!

You’re the same as me. Tackle things through diet and exercise as a first resort. Good luck, and stay focused, but don’t worry if you have the occasional blow out. Just don’t make them every week.

Top Bottom