choosing a frame..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c2c

redredrobin
morning fellow peddlers sorry i mean pedalers, i think, im after some advice regarding choosing a frame. at the moment i am riding a bianchi hybrid which i use for commuting, i have found this to be a great bike but for the non commute rides i fancy something sportier. i only need the frame as i have a trashed bianchi c2c via nirone, and the intention is to fit all the components from that on to a new frame. im not after a flat out twitchy racer something that is sporty but ok for long rides. budget about £400 and preferably in steel.

cheers......:biggrin:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I bought a Bob Jackson audax end to end last year - lovely frame - might just be what you're looking for

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=44

kyuss

Veteran
I've been looking at the Genesis Equilibrium recently after someone on here pointed them out. Sounds about perfect for what you want it for. You can buy the frame and fork separately but they are in short supply in anything other than a 52 but come in at £350 which is pretty good.

I sent an email to Genesis just last week about getting hold of a 60cm but there will be none until the new 2011 Equilibrium, out at the end of July. Good news is it'll be Reynolds 725 instead of the current 520 (though I imagine it'll be slightly more expensive) and will be in cherry red instead of grey. I can't wait to get hold of one.

jimboalee

Go and get yourself measured up properly. Get a printout of the frame geometry that you should be riding.

Look on the bike websites and check their geometry against what you should be riding.

You might not have much choice than to buy a frame from the builder who makes to your geometry. Or go custom.

Grasen

I read an article once from one of the top italian frame builders. Can't remember who it was as it was many years ago. But he said at least 90 % of the people in the world could/should use standard frames. He said that custom frames was only for ultra top riders with special needs.

So I surpose the "urban myth" lives on.

OP
OP
C

c2c

redredrobin
jimboalee said:
Go and get yourself measured up properly. Get a printout of the frame geometry that you should be riding.

Look on the bike websites and check their geometry against what you should be riding.

You might not have much choice than to buy a frame from the builder who makes to your geometry. Or go custom.

Yeah that is a fair shout, i read up on frame fit a lot, and try to get the off the peg bikes i buy as correct as possible, in fact im a bit anal about it. The times i have fallen off my bike in the living room trying to see the plumb bob in the mirror.! The Bianchi donor bike, before it was sent down the road, was really comfortable with no aches or pains anywhere even on longer rides. I will probably try to mirror the c2c frame geometry in the frame that i buy, and your right i need to check out its geometry before i buy. Thanks.

jimboalee

Grasen said:
I read an article once from one of the top italian frame builders. Can't remember who it was as it was many years ago. But he said at least 90 % of the people in the world could/should use standard frames. He said that custom frames was only for ultra top riders with special needs.

So I surpose the "urban myth" lives on.

At first glance, I thought you were talking about Mike Burrows. But he said 'no-one needs a custom frame'.
The ONCE team rode his Giant 'compact' design.

Jaja did do quite well, I admit.

Top Bottom