Choosing a hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crdf

So I've been going to the shops the last couple of days trying out bikes, as much as that is possible. Have been getting a lot of valuable help from Vickster.

The top two bikes are the ones I either tested or sat on, if you can't give opinion on any of the bikes a reason to narrow down the list would be nice as well. Oh, I'm 178cm or 5'10. Other hybrid bikes I tried in shops fit me in large (like trek 7 series and trek 8.2 DS). I'm choosing the bike for commuting and sport. Being able to install mudguards and a rear rack is a MUST.

1. I tested this Specialized Crosstrail 2014 hybrid (Large) in Evans and I really like it. I looked up and the suspension can be locked but it would be nice to get a confirmation on that. This is the size guide for this bike. (pdf) Loved the bike, the design and the feel.

2. I was also recommended the Specialized Sirrus 2014 but I found it only in M in the shops. The guy claimed that it fits me, but they have it only in medium (different shop). This is the size chart. I'm just worried about ordering the large without trying it out first.
Question: Will Large fit me?

In addition I've been looking (on-line) into other models, but I did not see/sit on any of them,
3. Giant Escape 2 (L)
4. Mongoose Crossway Sport 2014 (L) - adjustable damping and lockout suspension. Question: Do I need this?Is it an advantage for speed bumps and other road obstacles?
5. Claud Butler Urban 400 (20")
6. Dawes Discovery 301 2014 (20")
7. Whistle Mojave (56.5) - (Single Speed)

I know this is a big list and a lot of over-thinking for a cheap bike, but what I buy I will be using a long time (hopefully).

Thank you.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The whyte Mojave is single speed, I'd take that one off the list. :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So I've been going to the shops the last couple of days trying out bikes, as much as that is possible. Have been getting a lot of valuable help from Vickster.

The top two bikes are the ones I either tested or sat on, if you can't give opinion on any of the bikes a reason to narrow down the list would be nice as well. Oh, I'm 178cm or 5'10. Other hybrid bikes I tried in shops fit me in large (like trek 7 series and trek 8.2 DS). I'm choosing the bike for commuting and sport. Being able to install mudguards and a rear rack is a MUST.

1. I tested this Specialized Crosstrail 2014 hybrid (Large) in Evans and I really like it. I looked up and the suspension can be locked but it would be nice to get a confirmation on that. This is the size guide for this bike. (pdf) Loved the bike, the design and the feel.

2. I was also recommended the Specialized Sirrus 2014 but I found it only in M in the shops. The guy claimed that it fits me, but they have it only in medium (different shop). This is the size chart. I'm just worried about ordering the large without trying it out first.
Question: Will Large fit me?

In addition I've been looking (on-line) into other models, but I did not see/sit on any of them,
3. Giant Escape 2 (L)
4. Mongoose Crossway Sport 2014 (L) - adjustable damping and lockout suspension. Question: Do I need this?Is it an advantage for speed bumps and other road obstacles?
5. Claud Butler Urban 400 (20")
6. Dawes Discovery 301 2014 (20")
7. Whistle Mojave (56.5) - The mojave looks a lot like a road bike and I'm thinking it will handle like a road bike not like a hybrid. I don't feel secure on road bikes, so unless someone confirms that it is as easy to handle as a hybrid I would not even consider it. Question: Can I put mudguards and/or rear rack on it?

I know this is a big list and a lot of over-thinking for a cheap bike, but what I buy I will be using a long time (hopefully).

Thank you.
It's only an approximation, but looking at Evans cycles guide a medium is for 5'6" to 5'9" and Large 5'9" to 6' so you may need the large.

Did you notice the Mojave was single speed? Depending on your terrain I would imagine a geared bike would be more useful.

Personally at the price range you are looking at, I think I would avoid suspension forks as they are likely to be pretty basic and heavy.

My Specialized Vita which is the female Sirrus takes full mudguards.

Hopefully someone else may be along that has some experience of the other bikes you have mentioned.

OP
OP
crdf

crdf

The whyte Mojave is single speed, I'd take that one off the list. :smile:

Aaah did not see that, blind me!

Personally at the price range you are looking at, I think I would avoid suspension forks as they are likely to be pretty basic and heavy.

My Specialized Vita which is the female Sirrus takes full mudguards.

Thank you, that is helpful. I'm not really sure I need the suspension at all.

OP
OP
crdf

crdf

I have a 2008 Sirrus which has been fantastic and is still doing a cracking job of work commutes and fun stuff such as getting me to Cornwall fully laden from Manchester !

Thanks. Since my I'm leaning toward the first two and two people have already advised me not to get suspension I think that will be my choice.

OP
OP
crdf

crdf

Thank you guys. I think I am going to order the Sirrus. And thank you Vickster for all the good advice and for coming with me to the shop!

If I click and collect it will they assmble it for me or will I be collecting a box? And what more should I be getting?

Helmet, pump, loob, some tools? What tools?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good choice. The bike should arrive more or less ready to go, just put the pedals on I think, but someone on here can confirm. Yes, you'll need a helmet, Track pump, some Chain lube (if you like), multi tool, puncture repair kit, tyre levers (although best not to use them) and a spare inner tube. Oh, and don't forget a really good lock. Have fun!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you guys. I think I am going to order the Sirrus. And thank you Vickster for all the good advice and for coming with me to the shop!

If I click and collect it will they assmble it for me or will I be collecting a box? And what more should I be getting?

Helmet, pump, loob, some tools? What tools?
Evans will build it for you. Finance or cash?

Do you use quidco? Can get 5% cashback at Cyclesurgery (possibly on pre VAT price but even so)

http://www.quidco.com/cycle-surgery/?ac

I can refer you if not used before

If buying mudguards, do at time of purchase and get CS to fit them as they are awkward. These are as good as they come, you'll just need to confirm the size (45mm I think)

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CSKS0004KK

Last edited:
OP
OP
crdf

crdf

Evans will build it for you. Finance or cash?

Do you use quidco? Can get 5% cashback at Cyclesurgery (possibly on pre VAT price but even so)

http://www.quidco.com/cycle-surgery/?ac

I can refer you if not used before

If buying mudguards, do at time of purchase and get CS to fit them. These are as good as they come, you'll just need to confirm the size (35mm I think)

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CSKS0004KK

Cash, paid already, waiting for home delivery, I'm thinking of getting mudguards yes, and some spray paint (possibly matching blue) to make the bike look more unique.

Should I get head and rear light as well or do they come with the bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Lights need to be bought separately, don't get a helmet one, just decent lights for the front and back of the bike

OP
OP
crdf

crdf

The bike surprisingly arrived today, completely disassembled and without pedals. I called them up so they will send the pedals tomorrow and they said I need a spanned or I can use an alan key, but the guide is ONE page printed on both sides. I have the feeling no one tuned the gears as well. And I need to go to work. I don't like leaving a job unfinished.

Good I watched all those videos on how to assemble a bike. At least I hope I will be able to put it together for long enough to roll into the closest bike shop.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't imagine it was "completely disassembled". Were the wheels on or off? The gears should at least be functional. Surprised they didn't alert you to the pedals, most bikes are supplied with some cheap plastics jobs. Let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom