Choosing an optician

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Boots in Cambridge are lovely people, either the main shop or the small one in the Lion Yard.

rualexander

Legendary Member
My local even has an MRI scanner for the eyes, which he uses to do NHS work on contract and he has already spotted signs of other diseases in patients and sent them to their GPs.

I doubt if it is actually an MRI scanner in a local opticians?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I used Specsavers for years, but the process was always harried and the service shoddy. And because I need astigmatic correction and a strong distance prescription but don't want thick lenses the price was always a substantial multiple of what was on the label.

I now use a branch of an independent chain near the office. The staff actually care about you, and the price is similar. And as I discovered when I got varifocals from a previous indy and compared them with the slightly shoddy ones from SS there is a difference in quality.

There was an eye-popping Long Read in the paper earlier in the year...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ig-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We have had an local independent for years. I have in the past drifted to Boots, Specsavers and at one time Dolland & Aitchison, but have always returned to the local. Mrs B tried Boots a couple of times but returned to the same independent.
A someone who before cataract surgery had complex lenses and still needs their eyes monitoring for other reasons, I like the personal services they provide and the time they take to undertake checks, etc. The last time I went, the optician showed me Youtube videos of a procedure I am due just before Christmas and explained what would happen and why. The opticians there have also fought my corner in a couple of battles with the local hospital when I have needed surgery and are willing to haggle about prices for lenses and frames.

Zimbob

Über Member
I always used to use Specsavers/Vision Express, but this year I thought I'd treat myself and use the local Independent lot. Glad i did, as they picked up on something in the photo of the eye that they took which indicated high blood pressure, and referred this to my G.P. They asked if this had shown up in my previous eye-tests, which as far as I was aware it hadn't, so they requested the set of photos taken by the Chain Opticians I'd visited 2 years prior to this eye-test, and there was exactly the same anomaly. The Chain missed it, my wee local guys didn't.
They were somewhat more expensive, but given the attention to detail they showed in picking up on the health issue, I know where I'll be going from now on :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have to use the hospital, 3 visits every 3 months to decide on strenght of prism then off to Specsavers for the rest, no complaints at all over service.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've posted previously about the terrible aftercare I've experienced at Specsavers. The actual eye tests have generally been good and dealt with professionally (apart from one occasion when the optician insisted I needed a new and significantly different prescription that I couldn't see anything with once the new specs turned up) but i won't go back. They are difficult to beat if you are choosing purely on price though.

Boots have been excellent in my opinion although they are not the cheapest by any stretch for most glasses (although they were with my sports cycling shades).

The trouble is it's like all shops and varies massively depending on the branch and who serves you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used Specsavers for years, but the process was always harried and the service shoddy. And because I need astigmatic correction and a strong distance prescription but don't want thick lenses the price was always a substantial multiple of what was on the label.

I now use a branch of an independent chain near the office. The staff actually care about you, and the price is similar. And as I discovered when I got varifocals from a previous indy and compared them with the slightly shoddy ones from SS there is a difference in quality.

There was an eye-popping Long Read in the paper earlier in the year...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ig-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica
Wow that Grauniad article is.... an eye-opener.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not MRI it's OCT, Optical Coherence Tomography. He tells patients it's "almost like MRI".

Top Bottom