Choosing Gravel Bike dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh Christ. There must be a new marketing executive at Cannondale. For 2 consecutive Sundays in November, when stock finally comes available, every hipster in the world will be racing around a disused gravel pit 5 miles outside Nuneaton, carrying the bike up any bill more than 10 metres long. By the third week they will have worked out that it's the most boring bicycle related sport in the world, they'll stay at home and use the bike to get to the pub.

I've never understood what the appeal is. Can't be speed as if you wanted speed you'd be doing road racing. Can't be stuff like jumps and tricks as if you'd like that you'd be doing mountain biking. What's the appeal? Is it the mud? Is getting caked in mud what brings them joy?

battered

Guru
I've never understood what the appeal is. Can't be speed as if you wanted speed you'd be doing road racing. Can't be stuff like jumps and tricks as if you'd like that you'd be doing mountain biking. What's the appeal? Is it the mud? Is getting caked in mud what brings them joy?
Mostly, I'm in it fo't' birds.

gcogger

Cannondale is size M has the 38.5 reach, Fuji M size (54) has a 37.2 reach. So to make the reach smaller on a medium Cannodale i would need shorter stem? Cannondale has a 9mm stem, so 8mm stem might be just to short for a good handling. Not sure though
I'm currently on a medium Topstone 2 (presumably the same geometry) with a 70mm stem and it seems to handle just fine, not twitchy at all.

battered

Guru
I'm currently on a medium Topstone 2 (presumably the same geometry) with a 70mm stem and it seems to handle just fine, not twitchy at all.
I think the reports of shorter stem making a bike twitchy are overstated. I used to have 2 similar
Kona MTBs, one a 16, one 18. My ideal size is 17 so I fitted a shorter stem to the 18, longer on the 16. It fixed the reach on both, I didn't notice a change in the handling of either bike other than making them a comfortable fit.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Yeah geometry is the same and what is you height and inseam? Do you feel comfortable on size M? Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Try the Cannondale? Have you sat on them? Would be shop be able to switch to a shorter stem for you to try?
I have tried Cannondale in M size, was not to bad, but still something was not right, I felt a bit stretched on the bike. Of course i probably would be able to switch the stem, but on the other hand there is a Fuji which is already has a shorter reach fits me well

battered

Guru
Absolutely this. Get a bike that is the right size to start with. A bike that's too big is awful. If something feels not right and too stretched out in the shop, imagine it after 4 or 5 hours.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I still think the Topstone in Small is the bike for you, the spec is so much better than the fuji - GRX hydro brakes groupset and carbon fork vs tekto mech disc, 9spd sora & cro moly fork if my googling is correct?

EDIT - think I was looking at wrong model, the fuji for £2k ish comes with carbon fork and GRX too. go with fuji if it feels more comfortable.

it also has tan wall tyres with green frame which looks better:okay:

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have tried Cannondale in M size, was not to bad, but still something was not right, I felt a bit stretched on the bike. Of course i probably would be able to switch the stem, but on the other hand there is a Fuji which is already has a shorter reach fits me well
I happened to be browsing eBay and noticed this. Might be worth watching? Sorry @vickster .....it's black! Lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11479046...rentrq:45f29cab1790a44d7e5825e5fff41de5|iid:1

gcogger

Yeah geometry is the same and what is you height and inseam? Do you feel comfortable on size M? Thanks!
I'm height 181cm and inseam is 81cm (short legs). I think it's OK but I need to get a proper bike fit, as I haven't been on a drop bar bike for over 25 years, and I've only had this a few weeks.

Venod

Eh up
I still think the Topstone in Small is the bike for you

I think the Medium Topstone with 80mm would be fine, the OP has long legs, yes the small would work, but there would be a lot of exposed seat post and probably loads of spaces under the stem, which IMO looks dreadful and I always think loads of exposed seatpost and loads of spaces the bikes too small, I am not a fan of the MTB looking seat post on road/cross/gravel bikes but it is a trend.

The Fuji looks a decent bike, but the Cannondale frame wins it for me.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

I think the Medium Topstone with 80mm would be fine, the OP has long legs, yes the small would work, but there would be a lot of exposed seat post and probably loads of spaces under the stem, which IMO looks dreadful and I always think loads of exposed seatpost and loads of spaces the bikes too small, I am not a fan of the MTB looking seat post on road/cross/gravel bikes but it is a trend.

The Fuji looks a decent bike, but the Cannondale frame wins it for me.
Is Fuji making a bad quality frames ? :sad:

Top Bottom