Choosing New Bike advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi guys,

Looking for a new hybrid/commuter bike for my wife.
The choice is between Trek FX2 (600 pounds) and Boardman Hyb 8.6 (575 pounds).
Trek FX2 has a Shimano Altus transmission and Boardman Shimano Alivio.
The question is how good is Shimano Altus ? Will the difference be noticeable between Altus and Alivio?
Which bike you would personally pick?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ss-bikes/fx/fx-2-disc/p/35003/?colorCode=grey.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2365-hyb-8.6-silver-2021.html

Thanks

Attachments

• FX2Disc_22_35003_A_Primary.jpeg
    FX2Disc_22_35003_A_Primary.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 21704-Boardman_HYB_8.6_Silver_Flatbar_Commute_Bike_Update.jpg
    21704-Boardman_HYB_8.6_Silver_Flatbar_Commute_Bike_Update.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 4

Mo1959

Legendary Member
If it was me I would plump for the Trek as slightly better gears for climbing and internal cable routing which I find neater but doubt there’s really much difference other than that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good afternoon,

I would decide based on the supplier not the product.

At elite levels there are good reasons to spend lots of money, but I had my first 1x5 in the 1970s and the basic technology has barely advanced, Claris 2x8 has it nailed.

I am not anti tech, I had a rant here; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-much-bike-do-i-really-need-a-6-month-experiment.284154/

Ultegra Di2 trounces Claris, not a great surprise there, the full carbon frames definitely flexes less at max power output than 531 and anecdotally overall I reckon two minutes over 20 miles.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
I'd pick the bike that fits.

Components can always be upgraded at a later date if need be, but a frame that's not comfortable is not such fun.

FWIW, my three (rideable) bikes all run either claris (road bike) or altus (hybrid & MTB), and quite frankly, they do the job fine. Added bonus is that consumables tend to be cheaper and more widely available.

I'd probably go with the Boardman. The Trek annoys me with the fake info for the frame 'Alpha Gold Aluminium' which doesn't exist as an aluminium its commercial manipulation/marketing. It will be 6061 or 7005 most likely. The Trek has obvious welds and no mention of triple butting plus the Boardman is 0.5kg lighter which is significant. The Boardman also has a better quality drivetrain as well as a more premium smooth weld frame. Both brands don't manufacture themselves but buy from Asian factories if you could actually find out which factories they both use you might be able to make a more informed choice. Some of the Boardman's are made in high quality factories in Taiwan but some of the Trek's are coming out of lower end factories in Cambodia and Vietnam which Halfords also use but for their lower range like Carrera and Voodoo. However for all I know Boardman's are now using cheaper factories similar to the Trek but Halfords typically offer better value for money than the big brands.

Also with Halfords you can normally buy discounted giftcards and go through cashback sites plus there is often a way a way of getting 10% off. It's worth spending some time to see how much discounting you can achieve. You can with a bit of effort normally get a chunk of money off a Halfords bike.

DRM

Guru
FWIW I had Alivio on my old Specialized Hardrock MTB, the gear change was very smooth on it, & reliable too

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Thanks @vickster as always good advice. I'm leaning more towards the trek as well.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

She has a genesis Broadway now, but she for some reasons she started to doesn't like it. She want more upright position and something a bit more sporty

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Also the Trek FX3 would be ideal choice. But carbon fork, she likes to add cages for the front fork for traveling, on Trek FX3 there are no special eyelets for cages, so aluminium forks seems to a be on safer side

Top Bottom