Looking for a new hybrid bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baby-boop-boops

I currently have an Apollo Etienne, 18 speed. I do about 27 miles four times per week weather permitting, mainly on cycle paths and roads. I want something better quality, more sporty looking, long lasting and I want to have an panier rack and bottle holders and mud gaurds. My cuurent bike is a hybrid and i love the speed it can go. Any advice would be much apreciated. Im a tall female about 5ft 10.

What's your budget? Must it be new or would you entertain something used?

Most bikes of the kind you're after (hybrid) come with bosses for bottle cages and eyelets to take rack & guards, so no real need to worry there. Also, for the kind of riding you do, no need to worry about suspension either. If you want sporty, then maybe lean towards a flat-bar road bike, but if you're looking at comfort, something more of an all-rounder might be better.

I can't help you on actual bikes, mainly because I am decidedly less tall and ride junior frames. :blush: But bottom line is, go and try a few out for size and see what works for you.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

What's your budget? Must it be new or would you entertain something used?

Most bikes of the kind you're after (hybrid) come with bosses for bottle cages and eyelets to take rack & guards, so no real need to worry there. Also, for the kind of riding you do, no need to worry about suspension either. If you want sporty, then maybe lean towards a flat-bar road bike, but if you're looking at comfort, something more of an all-rounder might be better.

I can't help you on actual bikes, mainly because I am decidedly less tall and ride junior frames. :blush: But bottom line is, go and try a few out for size and see what works for you.

Thanks for your reply ^_^ I'm after something new. Something I can rely on, not too cheap and not something ridiculously priced. depends on what it is. :bicycle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry about the Apollo.
There are differing types of hybrid now. One is MTB light, fatter tyres which will give you a better ride over rough surfaces or you’ll find models with narrower faster tyres, better on the road but can still handle a bit rough stuff. You’ll also find low maintenance commuter bikes with belt drive and hub gears. All will have hydraulic brakes unless bargain basement. Don’t be tempted to go for one with suspension fork.
Availability would be the problem right now so see what is available. I’d buy locally so any problems can be sorted out easily should they occur, unless of course you are bike tech savvy and you don’t mind buying on line.
Stuff like carrier and mudguards can be fitted where you buy.
@vickster is a tall female so I’m sure she’ll be able to give advice.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep. Depending on your budget, I’d be looking at the Whyte R7 range.
I had a medium and a large. I’m just under 5’10, long legs. The medium always felt a little small but a longer stem may have rectified, the large was ok. These were the “men’s” models, the ladies ones are a size smaller, so large=medium if that makes sense! They do come with rather wide handlebars so you might want to get the retailer to trim them down!
Trek 7.3FX are good bikes too, plenty of others. I just like the look of the Whytes, a British located brand (albeit the frame and parts will come from overseas before someone points it out)
Agree on no suspension for paths and roads
Not sure on the sorry on the Apollo comment, they’re not as bad as some seem to suggest if maintained, friend of mine did lots of miles on hers including London to Brighton before moving to a drop bar road bike. And the OP is doing 100 miles plus a week in hers so it’s not exactly inrideable!

But there are better and lighter out there, realistically for a £600+ budget. Availability is better in 2022 than 2021. Can you access cycle to work?
I’ve had Bontrager mudguards and a Topeak rack on an R7 model. Bottle cages, just choose the colour you like. Bontrager and Elite have a good range. I’d always add an ergo style grip if the bike has those nasty round ones!
Plus a ladies saddle

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Sorry about the Apollo.
There are differing types of hybrid now. One is MTB light, fatter tyres which will give you a better ride over rough surfaces or you’ll find models with narrower faster tyres, better on the road but can still handle a bit rough stuff. You’ll also find low maintenance commuter bikes with belt drive and hub gears. All will have hydraulic brakes unless bargain basement. Don’t be tempted to go for one with suspension fork.
Availability would be the problem right now so see what is available. I’d buy locally so any problems can be sorted out easily should they occur, unless of course you are bike tech savvy and you don’t mind buying on line.
Stuff like carrier and mudguards can be fitted where you buy.
@vickster is a tall female so I’m sure she’ll be able to give advice.

Thank you for being so helpful! think i might like the more narrow tires as I like the speed! I shall check @vickser out as well

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Yep. Depending on your budget, I’d be looking at the Whyte R7 range.
I had a medium and a large. I’m just under 5’10, long legs. The medium always felt a little small but a longer stem may have rectified, the large was ok. These were the “men’s” models, the ladies ones are a size smaller, so large=medium if that makes sense! They do come with rather wide handlebars so you might want to get the retailer to trim them down!
Trek 7.3FX are good bikes too, plenty of others. I just like the look of the Whytes, a British located brand (albeit the frame and parts will come from overseas before someone points it out)
Agree on no suspension for paths and roads
Not sure on the sorry on the Apollo comment, they’re not as bad as some seem to suggest if maintained, friend of mine did lots of miles on hers including London to Brighton before moving to a drop bar road bike. And the OP is doing 100 miles plus a week in hers so it’s not exactly inrideable!

But there are better and lighter out there, realistically for a £600+ budget. Availability is better in 2022 than 2021. Can you access cycle to work?
I’ve had Bontrager mudguards and a Topeak rack on an R7 model. Bottle cages, just choose the colour you like. Bontrager and Elite have a good range. I’d always add an ergo style grip if the bike has those nasty round ones!
Plus a ladies saddle

you have been so helpful thank you!! Yes I am surprised at how many miles the Apollo has let me do, there is still life left in it too, my daughter will be getting it when i find myself a new bike. I will look into your suggestions, that probably is my sort of budget, I dont have access to cycle to work. I just want to buy a good quality bike that will last me a long time.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you have an Evans near you this might suit. Tyres are 30c which is at the narrower end for hybrids. Pinnacle is their own brand and well thought of on here:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/neon-1-hybrid-bike-934354#colcode=93435440

This is the Trek @vickster recommended. Tyres still quite narrow at 35c:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/trek/fx-2-disc-hybrid-bike-933287#colcode=93328725

Decathlon are also worth having a look at. They’re the largest international retailer of bikes, we’ve even got two branches here. Their own brand Triban offer good value for money plus they have a lifetime guarantee on their frames (others might also offer this) and a one years guarantee on components which is unusual. If you have one near you they’re worth checking out. Also have a good name for service.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-...-500-disc-brake-black/_/R-p-308110?mc=8554412

You might like to try Halfords but are a bit hit and miss for quality of service.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d say 35mm tyres are quite wide for the road, 28 to 32 would be the sweet spot for me. My carbon roadbike has 23s ^_^

If you’re in the NE, Startcycles has a decent range of different brands like Merida and Scott

Edinburgh cycles stock Whyte (in Byker)
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/info/our-shops/newcastle

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/hybrid-bikes

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

If you have an Evans near you this might suit. Tyres are 30c which is at the narrower end for hybrids. Pinnacle is their own brand and well thought of on here:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/neon-1-hybrid-bike-934354#colcode=93435440

This is the Trek @vickster recommended. Tyres still quite narrow at 35c:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/trek/fx-2-disc-hybrid-bike-933287#colcode=93328725

Decathlon are also worth having a look at. They’re the largest international retailer of bikes, we’ve even got two branches here. Their own brand Triban offer good value for money plus they have a lifetime guarantee on their frames (others might also offer this) and a one years guarantee on components which is unusual. If you have one near you they’re worth checking out. Also have a good name for service.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-...-500-disc-brake-black/_/R-p-308110?mc=8554412

You might like to try Halfords but are a bit hit and miss for quality of service.

Thanks for your guidance, I will take a look, very kind of you. :smile:

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I’d say 35mm tyres are quite wide for the road, 28 to 32 would be the sweet spot for me. My carbon roadbike has 23s ^_^

If you’re in the NE, Startcycles has a decent range of different brands like Merida and Scott

Edinburgh cycles stock Whyte (in Byker)
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/info/our-shops/newcastle

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/hybrid-bikes

^_^ Thank you :bicycle: you are all so helpful I'm going to look at all these links , now I feel like I have a good starting point.

Top Bottom