Chopin's Nocturne op.27 nr.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

While I was browsing (unsuccessfully) YOutube for a Britten piano conc., I did come across his violin concerto* - which is another of my favourites when I'm in one of my non-piano moods...

* in a piano-and-violin version.

U

User169

Pete said:
That's an unusual one! I've not met many people who even know of it, let alone heard it! I don't regard it as one of the great warhorses but I enjoy listening to it. I don't have the score, but I'd like to get hold of a copy one day...

Here's another less well-known one which shares with the Britten (and Brahms 2) the unusual distinction of being in four movements: Prokofiev Concerto no.2 with its immense and monumental cadenza taking up half the first movement. Not an easy listening choice: if you're hooked, play it through a few times, and wow it! When a competitor selected it for the final round of the Leeds a few years ago, the judges were suitably wowed - though it wasn't enough to win the player first place...

I know the Britten because I've played it (as a member of the orchestra not the soloist). I agree that, objectively, it's not perhaps at the forefront of the repertoire, but there's always something I've liked about it, in particular the waltz.

I don't know the Prokofiev so thanks for that tip.

Pete

Back to Gaspard - you can't beat a real master at this - even if he does seem to be chewing gum throughout the performance...;) Stunning performance even if he does get a few wrong notes...at his age (Perlemuter died in 2002 aged 98. I don't know how old he was when this was recorded, but must have been well into his 80s). Enjoy!

[edit]... but, must admit, find this version sets my pulse racing more...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Disgruntled Goat said:
Err, that variation was composed by none other than Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Best piano piece?

Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire. Only song that I play 'air piano' to.

George Winston is also a God who walks as man http://www.georgewinston.com/

I thought I was the only fan here. 'Longing' is such a simple piece that conveys so much. Genius IMO.

Do you listen to other Windham Hill artists?

NickM

Veteran
Are you a professional musician, Delftse Post? What is your instrument?

I like Prokofiev's Second (it got murdered at the 2007 Proms, though...). And the Britten violin concerto is definitely my favourite for that instrument - played with terrific, passionate commitment by Anthony Marwood at a London concert last year. Anybody who likes the Ravel concertos and the Britten piano concerto will almost certainly enjoy the piano concerto by John Ireland...

U

User169

NickM said:
Are you a professional musician, Delftse Post? What is your instrument?

I like Prokofiev's Second (it got murdered at the 2007 Proms, though...). And the Britten violin concerto is definitely my favourite for that instrument - played with terrific, passionate commitment by Anthony Marwood at a London concert last year. Anybody who likes the Ravel concertos and the Britten piano concerto will almost certainly enjoy the piano concerto by John Ireland...

No, I'm not a "pro" Nick:wacko:. But I'm a pretty decent viola player and have been lucky enough to play in some fairly good orchestras and to have tackled some of the odder ends of the classical oeuvre (Ives' second symphony anyone?).

Agreed Britten's vln concerto is sensational stuff (another one of the Bs). John Ireland is another to add to the "to listen to" list, although I'm trying to focus on St. Qts. in 2008!

Pete

Abitrary said:
That one sounds a bit bovine and heavy to me.. no sublteness
You might appreciate the Waltz and the Passacaglia, which come before this movement, better. Don't seem to be any performances online anywhere. The finale is not easy listening and extremely difficult (as you can see)!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Funnily enough I do like George Winston - December is my favourite album. I wouldn't say he was any kind of genius, but they are more than just pleasant.

I do love good jazz piano too - Thelonius Monk, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and Michel Petrucciani being my favourites. More recently, Omar Sosa, Esbjorn Svensson and Brad Mehldau...

Pete

Can't let a 'piano music' thread sink without putting in a link to Islamey. One of several videos on Youtube. Opinions differ as to whether this is the most difficult piano work, or whether it's Gaspard (as Ravel intended)...

p.s. I just noticed that in the link above, Berezovsky leaves out two entire bars near the beginning of the work. Thought it sounded 'not quite right' but had to get the score out to check. There are a lot of repeated themes and it is fatally easy to lose track. Still a momentous performance, though...

p.p.s. on reading through the comments, it turns out that the 'missing' bars are due to a splice in the editing, not the pianist's error. Better get that out before his lawyers come after me!

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks everyone for your your comments, insights and recommendations.
Wafflycat: ha! - I grew up listening to Scheherazade, especially the third movement. It was my Mum's favourite and now, every time I hear it I think of her.
Anyway, while hunting around on youtube, finding (or attempting to find) others' favourites, I came across this played beautifully and delicately by Jascha Heifetz; glorious!

Top Bottom