Chopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

I always thought choppers were a bit Keith Chegwin, whereas I had a Grifter which was much more David Bellamy.

MsMalfoy

Grifters were made of a kind of steel that defied all laws of physics as regards mass, weight etc. Boy those thigs were heavy. Make great boat anchors.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I remember them being orange...easy rider at age 8 lol!

I had an orange one, damn dangerous, hit a bump riding thought the local woods and turned the handle bars upside down, but great fun...

i had a purple one and thought it saw the Mutt's; that is until my mate got a grifter. we used go to the local woods that had a real scrambling course in it and try to do it on the bikes with out dabbing, it was at the same time that Kick Start was on the TV, we thought we were aces.

Bent the crank arm falling off trying to pull a wheely and also took a chunk out of my chest with the brake handle. i still have the scar to prove i had a Chopper:becool:

Happy carefree days they were

Windy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had one too - Black (Mk2 I think) with a silvery flame on the chain guard. Awful handling, and even had a replacement saddle when one of the welds went. Loved it though, then progressed to a 10 speed racer

Mr Phoebus

starseven said:
there was another British made one with solid plastic wheels I always fancied that, cant remember the name though anyone recall it??
Would that be the Raleigh Burner with it's imitation 5 spoke Skyway wheels? The Diamondback was a top bit of kit back then.

Mr Phoebus

I had a Raleigh Tomahawk, then later on had a Chopper with Grifter handlebars :biggrin: great for wheelies, even better for latissimus dorsi development.

FatBloke

Über Member
I hade a blue MkI Chopper like this...
300px-Raleigh_chopper_01.jpg

except mine was an earlier model with a knob (ooeerrrr) instead of the T-shift and a white strap over the saddle!

I wish I still had it!! :biggrin:

MichaelM

Guru
I had a blue one - though I don't remember there being a chain guard, like FB's mine had a real gear stick with a screw on knob - this had way more cred than the latter models with the "safety T lever " as shown above.

MsMalfoy

Mr Phoebus said:
Would that be the Raleigh Burner with it's imitation 5 spoke Skyway wheels? The Diamondback was a top bit of kit back then.

My brother had a Raleigh Burner, the red and yellow one with spoked wheels. He bought it new with his pocket money savings when he was about 7. I was sooooo jealous.

I always wanted a Grifter, but I was a short ar** even then so I had a Strika, next model down (and I did get a lot of fun out of it). The flashy looking black one with holographic labels :thumbsup:. My parents said I had to keep that till I grew out of it, and so I did.... they had plenty of money but were somewhat stingy! :thumbsup:

I remained a short ar** and so my next bike was not bought until 1987. 17 inch Peugeot road bike- I still ride it now! It sat neglected in the shed a few years but was resurrected last year to join my new bike and given new wheels. It's still fast and fun.

But I still would have liked that Grifter...

Top Bottom