Christianity ruins a relationship ....Alpha courses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
This is gonna sound a bit like an agony aunt question but here goes... A mate of mine (38 ) has recently met a woman who he really likes and she says the feeling is mutual ... but she "wont have a relationship with someone who isnt a Christian" She's trying to get him on one of these Alpha courses ... she's a member of the New Frontier Church.( No, I've never heard of it either) I seem to recall a thread a while ago about something similar? Anybody got any personal experience of these or know someone who has? I'm tempted to tell him to run a mile but that's just the gut reaction of an agnostic so I thought all call in the vast resources of Cyclechat:smile:
NB He doesnt ride a bike so thats him buggered before he starts;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
Tell him to get a bike and start riding. He will enjoy it so much that he will forget the issues with the woman.:angry:

Seriously though, if he is not keen on joining her church and she won't have him if he doesn't then there isn't much hope for either of them. Her beliefs seem to be too important for her to accept him as he is and so it can easily cause problems for them both. Better to accept that it is not to be unless both are happy to accept each other as each is.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I know people who've been on alpha courses. Being young and inexperienced in the relationship department I'll certainly leave your friend to make his own judgements.

On the alpha course you'll get a lot of wildly divergent opinions. You can look up the contents easily enough, it's at what sort of church it's at will make a bigger difference if you get my drift. A lot of the controversy has been about two of the people that oversaw it for a long time and their other views/publications.

Obviously the bike part is the real issue ... :angry:

A ha! It's Bjorn again!;) Third time in the past seven deadly sins days that he has cropped up.

Tell your mate to sort himself out...pretend for the 'fun of it' as Smokin Joe says - or, better still - hot foot it out of there by bike as Night Train advises :biggrin:

Unless of course she is saying "Ah men!" :angry:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Going on an Alpha course doesn't mean you're a nutter, but as in any walk of life the course does have some nutters along the way, but they would likely be nutters whatever

Smoking Joe is right though, IMO there's nowt better than getting it on with Catholics. Muslims and Sikhs bring about similar results too!

Willow

I gave up everything for my hubby he was worth it but now he has given up me but I haven't yet given up on him!

domtyler

Über Member
suzi said:
I gave up everything for my hubby he was worth it but now he has given up me but I haven't yet given up on him!

The man sounds like a complete fool suzi! What on earth possessed him? :angry:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Smokin Joe said:
He could go along and just pretend. Some of these deeply religeous people can be seriously hot in bed, I think it is the guilt that turns them on.

Yeh. I would go with this. Pretend, how will she know. Get him to read up on it abit, just in case questions are asked. What could go wrong;)
But really, if she likes him, then she shouldnt mind if he isnt Christian. Sounds more like she just wants to change him. I would go for the, if she aint happy how he is, then stuff her approach.

dodgy

She won't have a relationship with someone who isn't Christian? Ah, so this is the tolerant religion we've all been hearing about then.

Dave.

My advice as a born again Christian, is that if your "friend" is keen on her he could give it a go, if at the end he remains skeptic then he can put it down to another one of lifes experiences that he has had, nothing ventured nothing gained. Alpha courses are operated by all sorts of church from the wailing hippy right through to the CofE, it is not a brain washing program and although, like in any religion, you do get some in your face nutters in Christianity, in most cases they are just like anyone else except their faith is part of their lives. In the pub I am just a bloke having a pint, the fact I am a Christian is not obvious, you would be amazed how many Christians you and your friend already know.

God rides a recumbent trike by the way.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
you lot are so shallow. Do you think of nothing but fornicating? Here we have the future of a fellow man entrusted to our safe hands, his life hanging on our decision and all you can do is to discuss whether Christians are more likely to be hot between the sheets. I'm shocked and I can't pretend I'm not and what is more nobody is asking the most important question......

...is she fit?:angry::tongue:

Top Bottom