Christianity ruins a relationship ....Alpha courses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dodgy said:
She won't have a relationship with someone who isn't Christian? Ah, so this is the tolerant religion we've all been hearing about then.

Dave.

It's nothing to do with intolerance, it is to do with the fact that Christianity is a central part of a believers life, as it is, you cannot "become" a Christian just to have a relationship, it is much more than that and can be life changing, it was for me. I'm still a git though, just not a total bastard anymore.

rich p said:
you lot are so shallow. Do you think of nothing but fornicating? Here we have the future of a fellow man entrusted to our safe hands, his life hanging on our decision and all you can do is to discuss whether Christians are more likely to be hot between the sheets. I'm shocked and I can't pretend I'm not and what is more nobody is asking the most important question......

...is she fit?;):tongue:

If he has the wrong type of saddle he won't be able to get it up anyway so what is the big deal? :angry:

dodgy

See, I don't get that, and I doubt I ever will.

Back to the original question, it's up to the person in question. Is he comfortable in 'finding' religion to get a shag? Presumably he would already know if there's room for religion in his life before meeting her, so he should already know the answer.

Dave.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sure you weren't imagining it Aperitif :angry:? A sneaky edit, the sort of silly thing I've put in posts and spotted straight away. Easily done.

Mr Pig

You can't really advise without knowing the whole situation. Becoming a Christian to keep a girl/woman happy is often a mistake but I do know people who've gone down a similar road to your friend and it's worked out very well. The danger is that you only go along because you're hung up on the girl and the result can be a faith that you're never confident about, because you're never sure that you took it up for the right reasons.

But who knows. As I say, without knowing the people you can't say what's going to happen.

dodgy

You should choose religion based on factors other than appeasing your shagmate.

Dave.

Dave.

Dave.

Dave.

This situation must be more common that I realised. Going back a bit to the early 80's, but I knew a devoutly Christian girl whose boyfriend (of no particular religious conviction that I was aware of) asked her to marry him, and she told him she loved him but would only marry him if he became a Christian - the whole going-to-church on a regular basis thing too. He did, they got hitched and remain so to this day.

I agree with Mr Pig - it's impossible to know what's in the mind of the individuals concerned. I knew the girl I speak of very well as a friend, yet it still surprised me that she would ask this of someone she had been head-over-heels about for 5 or more years. I also wonder what would have happened if he had declined, and whether she would have relented.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If I may venture a serious observation. It seems that once you have got Gods out of the way, that most religions are about people and how they (should) live. What sort of ideology/philosophy is it that can get in the way of two people loving each other? Or what sort of person is it that allows that to happen?

I think the friend referred to in the OP would be well advised to kick the lady in question into touch.

Mr Pig

Flying_Monkey said:
The Alpha Course is pretty damn near to cult-style brainwashing...

Have you been to one? I've heard of them but I've never been to one, but I know people who have. To be fair, you can't generalise about them any more than you can say that all English teachers are the same. You could give the same book to ten English teachers and they'd each teach you about it but not in the same way.

Some Christians are 'nutters'. Some are accountants, bank managers and the most conservative, boring people you could ever meet. The pastor/minister of our church was the director of housing and social work, East Dunbartonshire Council I think it was, before going into full-time Christian service. The Lord loves everyone, even you! ;0)

Flying_Monkey said:
The Alpha Course is pretty damn near to cult-style brainwashing...

Just hold on in there FM, we're coming to get you out. If we don't the consequences are horriffic...................

.................FM will be a Bishop before the week is out and pontificating on everything in sight :sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mr Pig said:
Some Christians are 'nutters'. Some are accountants, bank managers and the most conservative, boring people you could ever meet. The pastor/minister of our church was the director of housing and social work, East Dunbartonshire Council I think it was, before going into full-time Christian service. The Lord loves everyone, even you! ;0)

What? Are you implying that accountants and bank managers can't be nutters?

Retract, I say, retract!

Top Bottom