Christmas day meal at the pub/restaurant. Anyone go?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Was yer mam a crap cook ! :whistle:

Let's say my mum isn't doing much of the cooking on Xmas day - we're gonna keep an eye on the turkey, but all the veg, starters etc will be me and my siblings.
No, but I think its wrong to eat meat anyway and the same meal year in year old gets very old very quickly. Whatever meal I wanted I can cook for myself as well. I personally don't like roast dinners.

the same meal year in year old gets very old very quickly... I personally don't like roast dinners.
Same here. Yet you would think I had flung personal insults at someone when I told them that I don't like roast dinners ...

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the idea of them but I can't stand fatty* meat and they are always streaky bacon..
*I can eat some if its crispy
You can use back bacon if you must... or vegan facon :laugh:

I no longer eat meat, as a pescatarian, I'll be having salmon en croute and all the trimmings this year :okay:

I used to like a turkey dinner at Christmas, once (maybe twice) a year is hardly something getting old :wacko:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We (used to) enjoy a good roast but since we got Covid our appetites are wrecked.
So we are trying something else this year. There is a company called Wiltshire Farm Foods that do home delivered frozen meals. A relative used to swear by them.
The do some 300 different meals including veggie.
They have a range of xmas meals which look good.
So........last week we tried a couple and they were very good......a bit tight with the veg but thats easily sorted.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can use back bacon if you must... or vegan facon :laugh:

I no longer eat meat, as a pescatarian, I'll be having salmon en croute and all the trimmings this year :okay:
Ahhh.......we do both like that and its still in the mix so to speak.
Q. Where will you get yours from ? We know we enjoy the M&S ones.
Baby boiled and veg...yum yum.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't like the 'traditional' Christmas meal. A 'roast dinner' - which is basically what Xmas dinner is, give or take a condiment or two - is of no appeal to me unless I personally knew the main feature and was certain it had a good life and a stress-free death. I don't like sprouts as usually served at Xmas and can think of so many better and more tasty things to do with the traditional selection of veg than just boiling them and smothering them in bisto gravy. Paper hats are uncomfortable, crackers are unrewarding.
I heartily dislike dried vine fruits, candied peel and the like, so Xmas cake, pud and mince pies are out, as are the more 'modern' and 'fashionable' stollen and pannetone.
Top Bah Humbuggery Sah! Chapeaux. :bravo:

Christmas is all about the pigs in blankets, as eny fule no. "Meat wrapped in meat - what's not to like?" Johnnie Vegas.

We moved to the coast 8 years ago, after my mum had died. For that first Christmas, my wife, my daughter and I decided to have Christmas Dinner at a local pub. It was, literally, a break from tradition, and marked the first year that we did not have mum round for the day.
It was a nice meal at about £55 per head, but we have gone back to eating at home in subsequent years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ahhh.......we do both like that and its still in the mix so to speak.
Q. Where will you get yours from ? We know we enjoy the M&S ones.
Baby boiled and veg...yum yum.
Morrisons one is very good. Tried on Sunday. I may try M&S if they have

yello

One I had, in the 80s (North Star, Ealing if anyone know's it) was most memorable. I'd only gone in for a couple of pints (I think it opened quite early) and saw they were doing a roast lunch (notionally Christmas, I suppose) and thought, sod it, why not. 4, maybe 5, pints later I made my way to West Ealing (Drayton Arms) to join others for the planned eat and drink.

It sounds kinda lonely I suppose but then I was a single bloke with no family (in London) and spent a number of Christmas Days in pubs with friends. That one particularly stands out though. It was remarkably chill; quiet pints, roast lunch and a bit of a chat with similarly sing!e folk (predominantly blokes) It was another side of Christmas and I enjoyed if for that.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Christmas Dinner = Yorkshire Sunday Dinner with tinsel ... ^_^

indeed mrs ck does a small roast most sundays anyway, x mas just means turkey which im not overkeen on and crackers.We used to invite loads of people around but now it will just be mrs ck dad extra

So long as there is a mountain of pigs in blankets, it's all good
indeed i have said before just do a packof them for each person and forget the roast or...
1638376469099.png

Top Bottom