Christmas dinner-the truth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Roast pork for me, chicken kiev for the other half as she really doesn't like meat. only issue was the bread sauce - I cheated and used a packet version which exploded in the microwave - won't bother next time.

Other than that all easy peasy, made a very alcoholic trifle for tea, and watched Die Hard, Grease, and a carry on film while she went and did a shift at the local gym

Successful Christmas day and just had trifle for breakfast

gbb

Legendary Member
As in the 'went well the day' post, we learned something this year by mistake.
When I put the turkey in the oven, I did struggle to get it to sit right didnt pay too much attention but it just seemed slightly odd. Turns out I'd put it In breast side down...duh.

But, the breast meat was superb, absolutely the best we've ever had. We normally baste regularly but could never get the meat that tender. Going to think about doing the same next year.

But I still think a turkey crown is the way to go. I dont like leg or wing and we just end up chucking a lot away, even after I've pared away some of the excess to feed the dog for the next few days.

PK99

Legendary Member
As in the 'went well the day' post, we learned something this year by mistake.
When I put the turkey in the oven, I did struggle to get it to sit right didnt pay too much attention but it just seemed slightly odd. Turns out I'd put it In breast side down...duh.

But, the breast meat was superb, absolutely the best we've ever had. We normally baste regularly but could never get the meat that tender. Going to think about doing the same next year.

But I still think a turkey crown is the way to go. I dont like leg or wing and we just end up chucking a lot away, even after I've pared away some of the excess to feed the dog for the next few days.

It's actually a standard technique - Juices drain down to, not from, the breast and breast is protected from the heat.

Flipping the bird half way through is not recommended on safety grounds.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_roast_turkey/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21422/upside-down-turkey/

We had BBQ turkey at a friend's house - fierce heat for 90mins and 1 hr resting = perfectly cooked and moist with a nice smokey infusion.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I had a wander down Ladypool Road and there were lots of Brummies having baltis for their Christmas dinner. It seems like a new tradition in Birmingham.

Drago

Legendary Member
I let the local pub cook our Christmas dinner. Lots of the usual and inordinate amounts of draught Guinness. It's slightly uphill walking the 300 metres home from there, so I really ought to move house.

My Christmas dinner was steak and bits. The cooking duration was set by sweet potatoes which took 50mins. Managed to arrange cooking and resting around this timeframe for a fairly easy but impressive meal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our turkey was cooked "upside down" for half the time. Worked a treat.

Yesterday's left overs are all going into giant yorkshire puds today with lashings of gravy.

Mrs M

Guru

Gunk

Guru
As we are away this year in a holiday cottage there was only four of us including one veggie. We bought a tiny Turkey roast from M&S, a couple of packs of parmentier potatoes, pigs in blankets, nut roast, some microwaveable prepped green veg and veggie gravy. It was bloody lovely and absolutely no stress and no waste.

Mrs M

Guru
Take 2!
Minus the streaky bacon which hubby had in a sandwich for lunch along with my spicy tomato and pepper soup :heat:
Was a turkey crown from the butcher, very nice but far too much for 3, even though it was their smallest.

I am torn between chicken tikka, a risotto or a cheese and tuna salad.
There is only me. I have my Saluki, Toffee and a new Greyhound (8 years old, adopted and collected yesterday) called Blue. As you can see by Toffee in his duvet, they are not spoiled.

I will decide on Christmas lunch after a quick ride. View attachment 497838
View attachment 497839

View attachment 497840

View attachment 497840
Saluki, Blue looks beautiful.
We also have a now 8YO Grey called Betsy who we have had for about four years now. She is black with a white chest and white tips on her paws.

Mike

Top Bottom