Christmas dinner-the truth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Christmas is one of the few times of the year where I'll actually do a full-on poncy three course meal including a roast - it's just mum and me, you see. But as long as we have a nice starter and a xmas pud, we're perfectly happy. I love to cook, so it's no huhu. For two people, turkey and any kind of over-the-topness is kind of pointless, so we please ourselves.

This year the plan is rib of beef unless I turn up something on yellow sticker tomorrow that tickles my fancy. Starter is homemade curried parsnip and apple soup, and I've already prepped green beans, butternut squash with garlic and sage, and red cabbage with chilli and orange and glazed with mum's seville orange marmalade. I snagged a tray of goose fat roasties on sticker this evening, so I don't need to bash any tatties. :blush:

Before dad died, we used to have a proper Polish Wigilia on Christmas eve, with herrings and beetroot soup and carp and mushrooms and sauerkraut and stewed dried fruit etc, but for the last eleven years, we've condensed that down to just having some nice fish or seafood. We still share the Oplatek - it's a kind of bread - at the beginning of the meal, though.

I scored some scallops and jumbo prawns yesterday, and those have been poached, ready to meet their destiny with some Marie Rose sauce (still got to make that, but it's not exactly onerous LOL), baby spinach and some lovely ripe avocados I bought on the market. And for afters, I've apples and pears poached in red wine.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Being an eat to live,rather than a live to eat type,i'm making a chicken and veg stew for my Christmas dinner. Me and the former Mrs Accy used to spend hours preparing Christmas dinner for our parents/ in-laws,then a good hour or so washing up. :thumbsdown:

We've never cooked a roast dinner, let alone a Xmas one, and highly unlikely we ever will. A few years back we were up in Chiang Mai for a vacation, and being Sunday I managed to find an Irish pub serving roast dinner, so I thought why not. Mrs Crank was curious as to what a roast dinner was, her being Thai, so I said I'll order mine first and you can then see if you fancy some. Anyways, it arrived, the plate the size of a cartwheel (slight exaggeration), and brimming with all sorts. She immediately said 'no way', and ordered some local food instead. Guess roast dinners are not for everyone eh 🎅

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Where's the Unlike button?
I made a nice festive parsnip curry last night. Any better?
6A690661-1AC3-48A6-BBAA-00DFA7E1FF7B.jpeg

Top Bottom