Christmas dinner-the truth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
Christmas Dinner....
I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for farks sake!!! We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!
Here goes...
1. Turkey... It's a big fecking chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked!
2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a shoot load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....( no fecking wonder he's bankrupt if thats what he spends to make stuffing!)
What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking 😉.
3. Gravy - Jamie Oliver is copping for this one aswell....
Bisto Jamie.... All you need is Bisto!
I ( nor any other woman I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to piss about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour,cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy 😠😠😠
4. Vegetables... Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the fecking things!! If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!
5. Roast potatoes... Yes I par boil mine then roast them in goose fat but Aunt Bessie also does the same 😉.
6. Trimmings /Christmas pudding and the like.... Aldi or Lidl!
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding- if birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter /rum sauce etc or anything else that costs a fecking fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)
7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed bugger them off to play with their Christmas presents so that YOU can enjoy your dinner in Peace!
Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry arse to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.
And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET PISSED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!
Rant over 😂
Merry Christmas!
P.s. I pinched this from another page so feel free to copy and share 🤣🤣

Rocky

Hello decadence
It’ll be gin and a big pork pie for me. Mrs BB will have the vegetables and a glass of orange juice. Between us we’ll have an averagely healthy meal.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yep, it's just a roast dinner. I love everything about it. The turkey has always been delicious, my mum puts hers in the Rayburn on very low all night, then uncovers it and gives it a blast in the oven for an hour. I've never had a dry or tasteless turkey. Sprouts are delicious. Gravy can be made the simple way but it's also not hard to make it with the juices of the roast bird (or beast). Bread sauce, again easy to make but delicious out of a packet too. Cranberry, I love it, I'd have it with any meat if it was on the table.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Christmas Dinner....
I have concluded that the inevitable stress of Christmas dinner is created by adverts, supermarkets and TV chefs...
It's a Sunday dinner for farks sake!!! We do it quite happily 51 weeks of the year but can we the consumers be trusted to manage by ourselves on one day of the year...apparently not!
Here goes...
1. Turkey... It's a big fecking chicken that's all, 20 minutes per lb plus 20 minutes at 180 degrees - jobs a good un! Get yourselves a meat thermometer £3 off the Internet poke it in the offending bird if it says 75 degrees or over its cooked!
2. Stuffing - regardless of what Jamie Oliver says you do NOT need 2lbs of shoulder of pork, onions breadcrumbs,pine nuts and a shoot load of fresh herbs to make stuffing....( no fecking wonder he's bankrupt if thats what he spends to make stuffing!)
What you need is Paxo and a kettle!! If you wanna liven it up squeeze 3 sausages out of their skins and mix that in with your Paxo before cooking 😉.
I ( nor any other woman I know) has got time on Christmas Eve to piss about roasting chicken wings and vegetables, adding stock and flour,cooking it for another half hour, mashing it all up with a potato masher and then straining the whole sorry mess to make gravy 😠😠😠
4. Vegetables... Never mind faffing round shredding sprouts and frying them with bacon and chestnuts to make them more palatable... If you don't like them don't buy and cook the fecking things!! If your family only eats frozen peas then that's good enough!
5. Roast potatoes... Yes I par boil mine then roast them in goose fat but Aunt Bessie also does the same 😉.
(oh and while we're on the subject of pudding- if birds custard is what your family likes on the wretched thing then that's fine - you do not need brandy butter /rum sauce etc or anything else that costs a fecking fortune and takes 2 hours to make!)
7. Family....
Children.. Feed the little blighters first separately, if they only want turkey with tomato sauce - fine leave em to it, it doesn't matter. Once they are fed bugger them off to play with their Christmas presents so that YOU can enjoy your dinner in Peace!
Adults... Anyone that can manage to get their sorry arse to your dinner table is also capable of helping to serve up/ sort the kids out/ clear the table /wash up /dry up etc.
And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET PISSED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!
Rant over 😂
Merry Christmas!
I take it Jim’s cooking then ;-)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sunday dinner for us this year, 2 of us and we have a lovely lump of beef, turkey is shyte

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I saw the Jamie Oliver programme to which the OP refers.

The idea of pushing herbed butter under the skin of the turkey is not new.

There's a clip of Fanny Craddock doing the same, quite funny watching her manhandle the bird and stuffing her hand under the skin.

Jamie suggested a more demure approach of using a spatula.

Odd how there are sensibilities around the handling of the meat we are going to eat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If I can get the ingredients together this afternoon....

Attachments

• D9DA35B2-10DE-41A0-9F16-FDA5D6FB89C3.jpeg
    D9DA35B2-10DE-41A0-9F16-FDA5D6FB89C3.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B39CDB53-D7C3-4E4B-9ADA-CBF373611C3D.jpeg
    B39CDB53-D7C3-4E4B-9ADA-CBF373611C3D.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 9
  • 58A356E4-495A-44DE-B026-6DB2DFCD0AFB.jpeg
    58A356E4-495A-44DE-B026-6DB2DFCD0AFB.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 9

Levo-Lon

Guru
Christmas Dinner....
Here goes...
7. Family....
And Finally.....
Rant over 😂
Merry Christmas!

I think this is by far your bestest post ever xx:laugh:

Top Bottom