Christmas dinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldwoman

After working too many years in kitchens as my job,Christmas lunch has never fazed me. Turkey,Chicken.parsnips,peas,carrots,cabbage,stuffing,cranberry and apple sauce - the pigs in blankets are still in the fridge :wacko: Still get used tomorrow.
Stuffed now. Time to veg out on the settee!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
And then co ordinated washing up and putting away

I use the 'I cooked it' at the end of the meal, which leaves the washing up, drying up and clearing away to my good lady and the 2 kids. Seems to be an acceptable arrangement.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
roast leg of lamb .... roast potatoes ... rice ... creamed spinach ... butternut, peas, gravy, Yorkshire puddings.... home made trifle

thats what we are eating. Last year was a duck smoked with pecan wood on the BBQ plus all the trimmings

we are not fond of turkey....

Sounds wonderful. I used to make trifle, thought nobody did it any more.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Roast dinner is such a stupid idea for mass catering.

I'm with you there, so, so much faff and effort for such a relatively mundane meal. You can make it good of course but it's very little bang for buck, effort wise, you could cook something ethic and stunning for half the effort.
Also half the cost, seeing as no one is fighting after chicken thighs, chillies or chapatti flour and similar at this time of year.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Roast turkey, roast spuds, yorkshire puddings, mashed potato, crispy bacon, pigs in blankets, devils on horseback, honey baked carrots, brussels, parmesan and chilli parsnips, two kinds of gravy, two sorts of homemade stuffing, bread sauce. Peas.

I love a good roast.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 4611959, member: 259"]a capon[/QUOTE]
I likes a capon too. Never had goose. Maybe next time but TBH I'm very happy with turkey

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 4611960, member: 9609"]The wife and her mother went out somewhere extremely posh for their xmas dinner, I was told it wasn't really the place for me so I'm having cheese on toast.[/QUOTE]
And several bottles of red I trust

Slightly less cooking time than @Dirk Thrust for it. Just a nice bacon sandwich.
Something we started doing when the kids were a lot younger - they weren't really interested in being dragged away from new toys for it and both me and my wife wanted to spend the time with them, not in the kitchen. So we have what amounts to a Christmas dinner all nice and candlelit on Christmas Eve (the Norwegians do something similar) instead.
Always used to be followed a late afternoon buffet at MiL on Xmas Day, then another sit down meal at my parents on Boxing Day.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Christmas meal is also done on Christmas eve in France. It usually starts at 8pm and goes on till past midnight.Christmas day is for the children and eat the left overs from the night before. Since 1985, I have only spent one Christmas in France as my wife prefers the English Christmas, but we have had a few New Years eve in France as she prefers it to the English one. Fine by me, one compensate for the other.

D

Deleted member 1258

I cooked it, turkey and all the trimmings and an alcoholic christmas pudding , my Good Lady dished it up, our lad did the washing up and organised the evening buffet. My good Lady concentrated on entertaining the various family members that visited during the day, She's now retired to bed knackered.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Christmas lunch out for my lot today, and it was surprisingly good.

I say surprisingly because in my experience otherwise decent establishments can turn into a shambles on Christmas Day.

Today's lunch was properly simple, by which I mean the vegetables weren't tinkered with, important when there's peas, carrots, parsnips, kale, sprouts and roasties on the plate.

Back to home cooking tomorrow, Boxing Day lunch will be in brother's holiday lodge which has a large open plan kitchen, lounge and dining area so is well suited to such an occasion.

Top Bottom