Christopher Biggins & cycling mugger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anti cyclist?

Leave off, the article does nothing more than describe what happened. Sometimes I think we get a little too paranoid on here.

Anti cyclist?

Leave off, the article does nothing more than describe what happened. Sometimes I think we get a little too paranoid on here.
Yes, and it's relevant.
Part of the method of the thief I assume - donkeys' years ago chaps on Vespas were doing the same thing in Italian cities - allowed a fast approach from apparently nowhere and a quick exit. I can see why it might occur to some crook to shift the technique to bikes.

Relax, get over it drm - go for a (non criminal) bike ride.;

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Moped mugging was a real problem. No one thought all moped riders are thieves.
Same with cyclists, no one will think all cyclists are muggers.

exactly.

If it had said *** "by wo/man on bike"

maybe some would have objected to the "wo/man"

though members of neither group should have need to be concerned/insulted.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Anti cyclist?

Not really was announced on the midday news slot on BBC Radio 2 on Friday, just struck me as why not just say his phone got nicked, they had to get the cyclist bit in, it’s just more ammunition feeding the “them & us” attitude that ends up with some poor sod on a bike getting hurt.

the phone was nicked by someone/something I presume.

How do you think it should have been reported - what terms?

Or should we just have assumed, amidst the fog of reportage, that the phone was just somehow spirited away?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not really was announced on the midday news slot on BBC Radio 2 on Friday, just struck me as why not just say his phone got nicked, they had to get the cyclist bit in, it’s just more ammunition feeding the “them & us” attitude that ends up with some poor sod on a bike getting hurt.

'They' didn't have to get cyclist in, that comes from Biggins, who said:

"I was looking down towards Trafalgar Square and I was seeing where he was, how far away, and suddenly a hooded cyclist came by and stole my phone - just took it out of my hand."

It's not up to the news organisation to censor that quote, and why should they?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Am still waiting for your preferred suggestion of the story description.
"Mugger steals mobile phone from Christopher Biggins. The mugger was riding a bike, but the BBC would like to stress that he was not a cyclist, merely someone who happened to be on a bike, unlike a cyclist who might err, also happen to be riding a bike but is a real cyclist. Any real cyclists who are distressed by the thought that a thief on a bike my be thought of as a cyclist should ring the number on the bottom of the screen where a trauma counsellor will be waiting to take your call".

Top Bottom