Chuffin P{nct{re F*iry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Today on my first ever CTC club run I was visited by the P{nct{re F*iry, not once but twice in quick succession (One of them was caused by one mega big thorn, had a hell of a job getting it out of the tyre itself afterwards. I suspect the second one was similarly caused). Thankfully the gentlemen that I was with changed the punctures for me, I'd have never managed as they had difficulty in getting the tye off themselves. My plastic tyre levers were as good as useless. Thankfully another person had a metal set with some kind of tong to keep the tyre in place. They suggested that perhaps I sould get something like an inflator that seals the tyre as an interim measure to get me home should I ever get a puncture when out on my own.

So two questions really -
1) Any idea what kind of tyre lever they had?
2) What is that stuff called so I can order some.

I have Schwlabe marathon tyres (700 x 32) on WTB Dual Duty XC 36H rims if it makes any difference.

Hokay....

You're after some Slime tyre sealant. You can also buy inner-tubes ready impregnated with it.

Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff because if you get a snakebite puncture (where the tube bangs down on a stone) you end up with green crap everywhere....and a flat tyre.

My tip would be:
  • Learn how to get your tyres off - some tyres are real sods, but they all come off. You just need to practice
  • Carry a spare tube
  • Invest in a tyre liner like this, which will give you more protection but with a tradeoff against rolling resistance and speed

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Hi Guys, I've found out what the tyre lever is called;
It's a Var tyre lever and you can get it on Bike+
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/

However I've decided to go for a Crank Brothers Speed Lever from Wiggle as it is cheaper with no P&P and has a good review from Cycling Plus;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Speed_Lever/5360019204/
Hopefully even a wimpy girl like me can get a tyre off with it.

I've also ordered a continental inner tube to carry as a spare (Presta 42mm 700x28-37 please tell me that is the right size for 700x32 tyres, I was getting quite confused!) I've ordered a tyre sealant anyway too just in case I really can't get the tyre off the rim myself. I used to be in the Girl Guides and our motto was "Be Prepared".:becool:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Plax said:
However I've decided to go for a Crank Brothers Speed Lever from Wiggle as it is cheaper with no P&P and has a good review from Cycling Plus;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Speed_Lever/5360019204/
Hopefully even a wimpy girl like me can get a tyre off with it.

I've also ordered a continental inner tube to carry as a spare (Presta 42mm 700x28-37 please tell me that is the right size for 700x32 tyres, I was getting quite confused!)

The inner tube sounds right.

I've seen a Speed Lever in action and they seem to work really well. I was tempted to buy one, I used to have trouble getting my tyres off but think my thumbs must have got stronger over time.

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Invest in a tyre liner like this, which will give you more protection but with a tradeoff against rolling resistance and speed

Noooo! Don't buy those. If you have thin tyres you *will not* get it in and you will give up.

Only consider getting those if you're the type who can thread needles without gritting your teeth.

Abitrary said:
Noooo! Don't buy those. If you have thin tyres you *will not* get it in and you will give up.

Only consider getting those if you're the type who can thread needles without gritting your teeth.
Eh? I used tyre liner on my 25s back in the day without problems.

Then I bought a track pump and learned to fix punctures. :becool:

Look Plax you're a girl, you're never going to be able to fix punctures. Just stand by the side of the road and look helpless :becool:

Take no notice of Baggy either. Her thumbs have only got stronger from poking Chuffy's eyes out when Strictly Come Dancing is on.

...and on a serious note. Those speed levers look good.

bonj2

using tyre levers correctly takes skill. It's not just a case of jamming it in there and levering it any old how. It can't really be described, it's more of a knack - but it's akin to using your thumbs to reduct the amount of work the tyre lever itself has to do.

bonj2

i'm not sure i really trust crank brothers tbh. They're more of a patent-buyer-upper than a set of folk who really know loads of stuff about bikes.

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Eh? I used tyre liner on my 25s back in the day without problems.

Then I bought a track pump and learned to fix punctures. :becool:

You actually managed to insert one of those green things into your tyre, then a tube, and pump it up without having a nervous breakdown?

Do you enjoy doing up lots of buttons as well?

Abitrary

bonj said:
using tyre levers correctly takes skill. It's not just a case of jamming it in there and levering it any old how. It can't really be described, it's more of a knack - but it's akin to using your thumbs to reduct the amount of work the tyre lever itself has to do.

True. Call the professionals before you take on a task like this.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Look Plax you're a girl, you're never going to be able to fix punctures. Just stand by the side of the road and look helpless :becool:

Take no notice of Baggy either. Her thumbs have only got stronger from poking Chuffy's eyes out when Strictly Come Dancing is on.

...and on a serious note. Those speed levers look good.

Oi cheeky :ohmy:.
I'm pretty good at looking helpless by the side of the road, I've got it down to a fine art.

Bonj - how are your mudguards coming along?

Abitrary said:
You actually managed to insert one of those green things into your tyre, then a tube, and pump it up without having a nervous breakdown?
Not one of the Slime liners, it was another type. But hey, lets not get brand precious about tyre liners eh?

And yes, it was no problem.

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Not one of the Slime liners, it was another type. But hey, lets not get brand precious about tyre liners eh?

And yes, it was no problem.

(here we go) was it black, tubelike, with a valve on it that you had to stick through the rim?

Top Bottom