Chumbawamba are...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
a surprising good band. I saw them at the Big Session Festival yesterday and they rescued the day from mediocrity.

OK, they are very political but their lyrics are well crafted and their humour is infectious.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Just as long as they didn't throw a jug of water over you :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Danbert Nobacon.

Love the Anarchy album. And if anyone want's to see what a real album cover should look like.. then go have a look.

English Rebel Songs was good
Pictures of starving children sell records was good and How to get your Band on Television was good

Then they realised how to get your band on television and funnily Alice Nutter was seen less and less at Northern Anarchist Network meetings

Throwing paint over Joe Strummer for "selling out" for signing to a label then doing the same thing. Hypocrites who are a parody of their own lyrics and who are indeed into into this years thing, next years thing.

Don't yet me started on the annoying ticky ticky f*****g timebomb!

[/RANT]

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

montage said:
Do they fall over lots and get up again?

Only in the tiniest and most oblique reference to Tub thumping in the lyrics of one of their songs having a go at a Metallica's James Hetfield.

Guitarist Boff Whalley is an acomplished fell runner too. Won at least one race a few years ago.

I'm currently reading "Feet in the clouds" by Richard Askwith which mentions him and another member.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

They are playing in Saltaire next month along with the rest of the musical collective that share their record label. I'll be buying tickets.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Are they back to the original size or down to three (or five) members now? I used to work with Ann Holden and had an actual date with her (!) before she became Alice Nutter, who my wife is actually related to. (The real witchy Alice Nutter, not Ann!)

U

User482

I've always loathed them, but that might be due to the ridiculous amount of airtime all the radio stations gave to Tubthumping.

PaulB

Legendary Member
User482 said:
I've always loathed them, but that might be due to the ridiculous amount of airtime all the radio stations gave to Tubthumping.

Altogether now...

I can't hear you 'cos your mouth's full of shoot
Do something about it

Well I'm really back to basics right beside a bar
Choke the double trouble big one to the joker with card
Good call
What's the crack what's the damage done today
From teh commons to the common a banana skin away
Knock it back knock it out
Chuck a nightmare dart
Quiet
Compere on the mic turns turning to the court
Putting beef vol-au-vents across the union jack
Bolinger and bitter says the colonies are back

Do something about it

You think you're god's gift
You're liar
I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

Up yer User482
Take a tab
With a flash of zippo light
Catch the hip parade passing the polaroids right
Check the manic little rebel with a bottle in his hand
A rhyming manifesto and a butty from his mam
Local lad made bad with cowboy charm
Claims he doesn't really mean every screw-'em-all barb
Pass the mic
Karaoke with the yesteryear stars
Time to weep into your beer til the fireworks start

Do something about it

You think you're god's gift
You're liar
I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Chumbawamba are terrific. I've always enjoyed their shows, and I've seldom seen such accomplished accapella work.

Yes, they're political, and sometimes that's a little off kilter, viz, their site currently offers an EP for advance sale that will be released to buyers on the day that Margaret Thatcher passes on.
Whether or not you think she was the worst or the greatest politician that ever graced Parliament, it's perhaps a bit of an ott gesture?

That said, my order's been in over a year.:sad:

PaulB

Legendary Member
CharlieB said:
their site currently offers an EP for advance sale that will be released to buyers on the day that Margaret Thatcher passes on.
Whether or not you think she was the worst or the greatest politician that ever graced Parliament, it's perhaps a bit of an ott gesture?

I'm ordering that one and can honestly say that the great day Thatcher passes away will see me open the champagne and follow Elvis Costello's good advice to 'Tramp the dirt down'.

Top Bottom