Citroen Berlingos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I was thinking about looking for one of these.My trusty Honda Accord has been written off due to a nice ladys lack of attention last Sunday 🙁
Had the idea of a bit of a micro camper for me and my better half.So if any one has any experience on the ups and downs of this vehicle.Was looking at the 1.6 diesel or is there a better model.Sorrry 2009 model.Or around that up to 2012....cash is in tight hands !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I bought a Berlingo in 2006. Finally got ride of it at 187k miles. We now have the Peugeot equivalent which is doing far fewer miles annually. Very practical and comfortable. Both are/were 1.6 diesel. I find it nicer to drive than my petrol C3, but it does now attract ULEZ charges.

Slick

Guru
I ran Berlingo's with a rear seat conversion as troop carriers when I ran my business.

Absolutely bomb proof if well serviced as even scaffolders couldn't destroy them.

Arguably the second best vans the business ever had, with the best being Vauxhaull Astra's, but they discontinued them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are the MTB'ers vehicle of choice. You can get some well specced ones, and lots of companies make a micro camper kit, but I suspect there is a fair amount of DIY community. My dad had a Berlingo Multispace for a while - he'd retired, but would take out the back seats for his lawn mower etc.

Think there was a thread here with a chap converting a white one a while back. My dad had one , passed to my brother, sister has one and I’m gutted my lease company couldn’t be ar$ed to supply the 7 seat version I ordered but see there’s now an e version

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
To be honest wasn't going to go overboard with the conversion.More of a mattress and camping gear.Gorgeous partner can sleep in it and I'll check in the local boozer 😁
I've seen some conversions online though and look good for what we intend to do with it.
Thanks for the heads up....now just to find one within my budget.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Nice but I like the idea of a standard one.So my partner can lump her stuff around and use for work.Art stuff in the back etc.
Then when we go home to Ireland could take it camping....or should I say I can kip in it when at the in laws.
Was thinking more in the 3 to 4 grand price range.Insurance aren't going to he kind to my poor Honda 🙁

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've got a Peugeot Partner Tepee (Berlingo) which we've had since 2017. It's a late 2008 model, so the one you're interested in, but a 1.6 petrol as that was cheap to insure for a 17 year-old. The base models don't accelerate quickly beyond 40mph but are happy to trundle along all day at motorway speeds. We put 15-18,000 miles a year on ours without anything really going wrong.

For us it's been brilliant; you can get one/two bikes in vertically still with two/one seats up, it carries tons of stuff. Son no. 2 has it at university now.

As long as it's mechanically OK then they just keep going. Don't ignore the petrol versions and don't pay silly sums for the top model are my suggestions.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had the Peugeot diesel equivalent for some time now. Great for carrying bikes or my trike unfolded.
It has a bit more ground clearance than the Berlingo as it has slightly bigger wheels.
There are a lot of them locally as they are very practical cars and if you take the rear seats out as I have it is really a van with windows. The seats are a dimple click in or out and can be taken in or out in minutes.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Seen some great conversions but probally more than what we need for now.Be a odd night and take tent with us and camping gear.I don't really want to make it into a permanent camper if that makes sense.Want to shove stuff in now and again and kids allways want a lift.So keep the seats etc
Screenshot_20230122-183446-539.png

rualexander

Legendary Member
Had a look and test drive in one a few weeks ago.
Not enough legroom in the driver's seat to drive comfortably if you're over six foot.
Not quite enough length in the back with the seats out for bikes with the front wheel on, if you're over six foot and ride a larger framed bike, you could probably squeeze them in by turning the front wheels but combined with the inadequate legroom it wasn't any good for me unfortunately.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
always liked the look of them myself but mrs ck doesnt and as shes the main driver its a no go , next car we have we will also probably go for an auto as she struggles with shifting

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Had a look and test drive in one a few weeks ago.
Not enough legroom in the driver's seat to drive comfortably if you're over six foot.
Not quite enough length in the back with the seats out for bikes with the front wheel on, if you're over six foot and ride a larger framed bike, you could probably squeeze them in by turning the front wheels but combined with the inadequate legroom it wasn't any good for me unfortunately.
Damn ! Im six foot tall....looks like we're gonna have to do some "spooning" in the back.🙄

Top Bottom