Claiming compensation isn't that straight forward!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think Accy wants to wait for 4.5 years for a new bike, so it's in his interest to facilitate the process even if it is some hassle (which it doesn't sound like it will be with the LBS) :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to push for an interim payment once liability is accepted.

Quickest way to get back on the road is to fix or buy a new bike yourself.

I repaired my bike. The claim that took over 4 years to settle, the bike came away with just scuffs. The drivers mistake was to crash into a 90's Tange Cromo steel MTB. Built like tanks. The car came off worse.

Tojo

Über Member
I don't think Accy wants to wait for 4.5 years for a new bike, so it's in his interest to facilitate the process even if it is some hassle (which it doesn't sound like it will be with the LBS) :smile:

They paid out on the bike for me pretty quickly, its my loss of earnings and injury claims that's taken so long, but I have had interim payments quite regularly....:tired:

My bike was written off in an accident. I sent pics, but the insurers offered me a pitiful amount because they thought a replacement could be bought for £1600. They offered me £800. The problem is that they are comparing my specially imported ultegra DI2 equiped bike (DI2 frame was not an option in the uk) with a run of the mill ultegra equiped later model, but the later model is actually a worse bike, heavier carbon frame and much lower spec. I now have to take it to an independent bike shop for it to be assessed. The shop is 75 miles away, so the insurers will have to pay for me to take it to the shop (and the return journey) and again for me to pick it up. In the end it will cost them a lot more. They may as well have agreed to pay the price my LBS valued the bike at.

screenman

Legendary Member
With so many people trying to scam the insurers they have to be very careful, if they paid out every where premiums would rise rapidly.

Reactions: srw

sidevalve

Über Member
His insurance company couldn't give a stuff so long as they are not paying.
Yes they could - be aware of the question [if it appears on any future proposal form] 'have you had ANY major accidents'. Belive it or not the policy WILL be loaded and not saying anything is a cast iron case for them not paying out if you do have a bang.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes they could - be aware of the question [if it appears on any future proposal form] 'have you had ANY major accidents'. Belive it or not the policy WILL be loaded and not saying anything is a cast iron case for them not paying out if you do have a bang.
For contents insurance which is the way a bike is mostly insured? I've never been asked about accidents. Only motor insurance which much to the chagrin of motorists is not needed for push bikes

The OP isn't claiming on car insurance, nor indeed his bike insurance,but using a solicitor. Not sure whether through a cycling org or no win no fee lawyer

It's not the same as the chap who was riding an insured motorbike :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom