Claiming compensation isn't that straight forward!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Following on from me being knocked off my bike five weeks ago i'm getting an e-mail daily from my solicitors asking for proof of this and proof of that. Today they've sent one asking me to get a written statement from a "reputable firm" like Halfords proving that my bike isn't road worthy anymore(even though i've told them that the policeman who attended the scene has said the bike's not roadworthy anymore). I can see Halfords asking about 50 quid to give the written proof! Then i have to send in more pictures of my broken cycle computer. The computer only cost me 6 quid and pictures cost a fair bit to print and send off. Have any of you experienced claiming for such things and if so what was the outcome?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your local bike shop is likely to do it for free or a small sum.

Pictures, just email the digital copy. The pics of the bike too.

This is all normal.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Like Fossy said, in this day and age electronic media are the way to go. Get an email address for the operator handling your claim and send all the images digitally. I would also guess that you can manage without the written report if your bike is seriously damaged and you can clearly show this with pictures (although your insurance will need to agree to this). They just need proof and records to cover the claim as they can't just go handing out money because someone has asked them to.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'd expect them still to want the report, even if the pictures obviously show the bike is trashed. It's a big faceless company and a box ticking exercise. We've had similar claiming for bike thefts. Everything says this thing must be X, but unless you send them proof it is X they can't tick the box to say 'proof says it's X' and so they can't progress.

Agreed, LBS should do it for you. Everything it costs you add to the bill and send to them (which is why you keep running costs of everything you do). It's an utter pain in the backside, but can't be avoided. Cynics might say making it so hard to claim puts some people off doing anything in the first place.

Agreed on emailing everything as well. But will add to that, ask for acknowledgement that they have received it and chase if you don't get it because I've had situations where the companies ability to handle a simple email has been shockingly inept and they never bother to mention to you that they don't have something until it comes to not having ticked the box.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can claim back the cost. My LBS charges £40 for bike inspections. I'd get it checked by an LBS that stocks that brand of bike (so only Halfords if it's a Boardman, Carrera etc). An insurance company isn't going to go on your word. For example, I had to get my company FD to write a letter on headed paper stating my loss of earnings. The info from him to me in an email wasn't sufficient.

If you think that bit's tedious, wait until you get into the personal injury bit if going down that road!

I think it is partly a reflection of how rife insurance fraud is :angry: The solicitors are also expected to follow proper due diligence protocols too, don't want to be struck off by the Law Society or whoever

Just roll with it and keep copies of everything. Some insurers are worse than others (the one I'm dealing with is a right pita)

Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon!

Last edited:
U

User33236

I took digital photos of everything recently and emailed them to the lawyer along with all the receipts (they were electronic copies as stuff was bought online or a receipt emailed to me from the shop).

Evans Cycles charged me £35.00 to inspect the bike and that expense got added to the claim. Like you they wouldn't take a layperson's word on it. In my case Evans final estimate came out at £7.91 higher that my quick / rough calculation!

classic33

Leg End Member
@Accy cyclist, search for the thread Accident Advice, and you'll get an idea of what can be expected in this sort of situation.

All of what has been asked is normal proceedure, with any costs incurred being added to the claim, as given above.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I got my lbs to give me a written quote to replace the written off bike, I then scanned and emailed it to the insurance along with pictures of the knackered bike. LBS didn't charge anything. Insurance paid up no problems. I would ring them and check they have received the email and that the attachments have gone through okay.

classic33

Leg End Member
If e-mailing use Outlook with both a received and read receipt requested. Both can be sent to your own e-mail address.

Sara_H

Guru
My local bike shop provided me with a crash assessment and repair estimate for free, though I am a frequent customer and I guess they knew they'd be getting the job.

U

User33236

My local bike shop provided me with a crash assessment and repair estimate for free, though I am a frequent customer and I guess they knew they'd be getting the job.
Evans knew I would be buying the replacement bike from them but still took £35 for the estimate. TBH I didn't really mind as ultimately it's not coming out of my pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tojo

Über Member
I would say to you don't worry about proof as as in getting quotes and being out of pocket and having to claim back later, if the outcome of the accident is not your fault, and especially if the Police agree that the other party was at fault, take pictures as said previously and send them to the relevant insurance, yours, they will deal with the other side and they will then always question the quote, let them do it and you can then dispute it. I know, I've been going down the whole route of injury and loss of earnings claims for the past 4.5 years after a vicars son nearly wiped me out when he pulled out as I was a mile from home on my motorcycle....:cursing:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
send them to the relevant insurance, yours, they will deal with the other side and they will then always question the quote, let them do it and you can then dispute it

The relevant insurance is the other party's, not accy's.

His insurance company couldn't give a stuff so long as they are not paying.

In any case, accy is dealing through compo solicitors, so that's where he needs to send quotes, pics, etc.

Top Bottom