Claiming for damage due to pot holes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I rode over a pothole yesterday on a rural road north of Henley, Oxfordshire, I could not avoid it - blew my tyre, pulled over, swapped the inner tube over, during this a lorry turned up with workmen, guess what.... they had come to fix the pothole. I know this because I asked the guy - I kind of laughed, but wished I had arrived been 15 minutes later and I would have avoided it. :B)

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I rode over a pothole yesterday on a rural road north of Henley, Oxfordshire, I could not avoid it - blew my tyre, pulled over, swapped the inner tube over, during this a lorry turned up with workmen, guess what.... they had come to fix the pothole. I know this because I asked the guy - I kind of laughed, but wished I had arrived been 15 minutes later and I would have avoided it. :B)

That is just awful timing. :sad:

double_dd

Über Member
18" wheels aren't very practical so perhaps he should think about getting 16" ones with cheaper, deeper and therefore more robust, tyres = better in winter + last longer.

...or the council just do their job!

In all fairness most modern cars have larger alloys. I'm on 19in and can only go to 17in minimum - but it looks naff on my car so I won't be doing that anytime soon anyway.

So is the co census you won't get anything back from the council unless the pothole has been reported? Even though they're the ones who should be performing maintenance checks?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Style over practicality? ...roads aren't going to get repaired properly so potholes are a fact of life... until Councils are funded properly they have to have priorities and paying motorists to repair their bling wheels isn't one of them. Sorry to be blunt but people have choices.

double_dd

Über Member
Style over practicality?

Yes to some degree. But I don't see why I should change anything; that doesn't fix the original problem. The problem is roads in general aren't kept in good repair unless something bad happens. Councils wouldn't have to pay out to anyone if they did look after the roads.

We'll all be riding around on full suspension MTB if all we have left is choices.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yes to some degree. But I don't see why I should change anything; that doesn't fix the original problem. The problem is roads in general aren't kept in good repair unless something bad happens. Councils wouldn't have to pay out to anyone if they did look after the roads.

We'll all be riding around on full suspension MTB if all we have left is choices.
True... but as the funding dwindles away payments out in compensation have to stop or the system will implode.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, I sent the council a not very pleasant email and logged a complaint as to the lack of response. A few days later I received a phone call from a nice fella who asked if he could have a copy of the invoice, which I duly sent.
I had a call from him on Friday saying that they would pay the claim.
I got this in the post today.....

image.jpg

It's taken 6 months, but I always said I'd get it back. What £80 treat can I get?

Funnily enough, the said pothole has been filled, but the filling is starting to break up!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well, I sent the council a not very pleasant email and logged a complaint as to the lack of response. A few days later I received a phone call from a nice fella who asked if he could have a copy of the invoice, which I duly sent.
I had a call from him on Friday saying that they would pay the claim.
I got this in the post today.....

View attachment 51237

It's taken 6 months, but I always said I'd get it back. What £80 treat can I get?

Funnily enough, the said pothole has been filled, but the filling is starting to break up!

Full payment AND an egg? Result!

GC

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The other issue is that the legal definition is that a road must be suitable for the "ordinary traffic" using that road.

It can be argued that the road is safe for the majority of vehicles and that cycles fall outside the requirement
So the UK as well as Australia doesn't regard bicycles as "ordinary traffic"?

Top Bottom